THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Warning - North American Hunting Club

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warning - North American Hunting Club
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted
Take it or leave it...It is what it is. But what it is the truth all of it and not embellished one little bit.
Here is a nice warning for all you North American AR members. I was recently sent a solicitation for membership into the North American Hunting Club. I had never heard of the club or their magazine before (North American Hunter ?).
But I figured for the $12.00 they were asking for, it had to be worth 12 copies of the magazine if nothing else. So I sent them their $12.00 and received my first (and apparently last) issue. I logged on to their website with my new member number and…what’s this then? A message saying they had not received my dues and my membership was going to be cancelled? But this cannot be. I remember sending off their requested payment.
So I call the contact number on the webpage, talk to a very nice lady who assures me that everything is fine and she will remove my name from the delinquent account list and all will be right with the world. That was Thursday of last week.
Just a moment ago I tried to log in to the sight and my membership has been cancelled – for non payment. What a crock of shit! (Pardon my language) Now I know it was just 12 bucks, but it is the principle of the thing that pisses me off. Especially pisses me off, since I didn’t write down the number I called and now I cannot access that realm of the site, because I am not a member in good standing. So here is the warning…
If this penny ante, fly-by-night subhuman organization run by slack-jawed creatons should happen to contact you with a proposal to join their exclusive club, make sure you fly to wherever they are, pay in cash, get a receipt with their stamp on it, and have it notarized immediately.

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I was a member for years, it just worse and worse, begging, sending stuff in the mail, to buy or return finally I said enough a year ago, I still the the rag and letters offering me a "great" deal to re join. NEVER again I think they are a poorly run outfit.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had much the same thing happen to me-they sent me a renewal notice----after 3 months fromt when the subscription started. i phoned and asked what was going on-the kind lady said don't worry about it they do that all the time and that my account was in good standing. That was the last mag I recieved due to no-renewal. it just wasn't worht the effort for such a crappy mag so after 3 or 4 phone calls I dropped it.

Hunting isn't a mater of life and death......it's more important than that

Posts: 76 | Location: Northwest Alberta, Canada | Registered: 05 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been a life member since the late 80's some time, can't say it's the worst money I've spent, but their magazine articles aren't bad and have got one every other month since I joined for $330, also got a great leather jacket out of the deal. Their member products review program isn't the great deal they make of it, they sent me some hand creme to review, that's it in 8 or 10yrs since I signed up for it. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
My experience 20 years ago was the same...it's a joke.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you ever check to see if they cashed the check???If so, contact them again and ask to have your $12 back....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a charter member and life member the prior goes back to the 70's. It has fallen off a bit. I am now into Africian hunting so don't pay too much attention to the mag.. My son is also a life member and has submitted "hunters tips" and always got his check as promised.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Yes, they cashed the check.
I was going to just let it go, I mean, after al it is only $12. But then, this morning, I happened across their phone number in some of the literature they sent me. I think I am going to have to give them a call this afternoon...I wonder what they will say...

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Sounds very much like the "National Street Machine Club" that I'm a charter member of... Wouldn't surprise me if it's the very same company... They drive me nuts with the "here's some stuff and if you don't want to pay for it, ship it back"... I called them on that and they stopped sending me stuff... Except the god awfully expensive calendar every year... I'll pay for this last one but when the subscription lapses they are done....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

If you are sent unordered merchandise, you are under no obligation to return it or pay for it. By law, you may keep it. When the NAHC sent me the first piece of unordered crap, I kept it and did not pay. They are fast learners. I have never received another piece of un-ordered stuff!

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are sent unordered merchandise, you are under no obligation to return it or pay for it. By law, you may keep it

That's a fact Jack!
Smart man.. yup its the law...

I joined them when I lived in Minnesota way back in the 1980s.. since they were located over in Minnetonka, the next town over... my dealing with them lasted for about 90 days...what a freeloading crock of crap that outfit is!

Another quick tip to get off of their mailing list or anyone else's you wanna get out of...

If they send you stuff that has a Business Reply Card where they pay the postage...or BRM.. Business Reply Mail...they have to pay the postage when it is returned to them.. and they can't refuse to do so according to the contract with the Postal Service...

The Postal Service will accept and deliver mail as long as it weighs UNDER 70 lbs.. and has a total overall length, width and depth of 108 inches...

So attach your BRM card to a Cinder Block, or perhaps an old Bald 31 x 10/50 off of your 4 x 4... using shipping tape to attach the card and take it down to your local Post Office...

The outfit has to pay well over $50.00 for a pickup truck tire.. with their BRM attached to it...

Believe me, you will get off of a lot of people's mailing list real quick with that one!!!!

Poetic Justice, n'est pas?

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I knew that about un ordered material, most of the stuff i got was crap I didn't even like or want I finally kept a belt buckle or something and after many threatening letters from them I replied to them and said I wanted no more junk, then I quit.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
[QUOTE]So attach your BRM card to a Cinder Block, or perhaps an old Bald 31 x 10/50 off of your 4 x 4... using shipping tape to attach the card and take it down to your local Post Office...

The outfit has to pay well over $50.00 for a pickup truck tire.. with their BRM attached to it...

Poetic Justice, n'est pas?

animal animal I love it !!!! LOL I never thought of that before....

Ken...

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A week after receiving my first mag.a subscription renewal arrived,they are defineately interested in your money

Posts: 68 | Location: Camrose Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
My experiences with the "organization" runs pretty much along the same lines as everyone here -however, as an Alaskan guide, I have booked a number of clients from their ranks, who were super folks and good hunters. I guess it shows that while there are a few shady folks out there who are simply after your money; the majority of folks - at least hunters - are good people.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
I got suckered into the life membership of NAHC at a young age thinking it would be a good thing. I never received so much as one free product trial they advertised. I also got innundated with phone calls after phone calls wanting to hassle me over giving some money for some NAHC/NRA stuff. So I called them up and told them just send me the magazine which at times is dececnt but for the most part is below average and stop sending me crap commemorative hunting coin collections, phone calls, etc. etc. And they did. Now I get my free magazine and that's all and its not all bad.

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I signed up for life membership about 15 years ago or so. They told me I'd get a leather jacket once the membership was fully paid for. I forgot about that and several years passed by before I remembered about the jacket. I called them and remined them and had the jacket in less than two weeks. I like the magazine and throw away the other mailers so don't really care either way about those.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have been a member for about 15 years. the quality of the organization has steadily gone down hill.

calling them is a waster of time. no one answers the phone nor returns messages. i did a 3 year renewal and was supposed to get 2 folding knives sent to me. they got their money and no knives for me.

scam....

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
paying for a NAHC membership is just like paying a telemarketer to call you. They just want to sell a bunch of overpriced stuff with their logo on it, and the magazine isn't that good. Much better magazines can be picked up off any newstand, and most of the usable stuff can be purchased without their logo for less. And the stuff you can only get from them is useless collector type crap like coins, zipperpulls, and patches. Buckmasters isn't much better.

My mother got a life membership about ten years ago, because one of dads friends was going around bragging about how he was specially chosen to become a life member and how hard that was to get, and how exclusive it was. So to piss him off she picked up the phone and became a life member. She finally told them to stop sending her stuff to buy, just send the info and if she wanted it she would order it. After about a year of her not ordering anything they just stopped sending her the info. She still gets the magazine though, in fact the new one came today.

They want you to forget to buy something they send you so they can say it's overdue and flood you with junk mail filled with threats and most people just endup paying for it and the cycle begins anew.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of others I wonder about -

Quail Unlimited, the National Wild Turkey Federation, The National Stripped Bass Association and the Carolina Dove Club are all based in Edgefield, South Carolina.

I have not been to Edgefield but I find it highly coincidental that these groups are all based there. They all have PO Boxes and I would suspect they may be in the same building - just promoting different causes.

It pays to check out groups you consider joining.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I think I joined them for a year one time. They sent me the stupid coins etc. Renewal forms etc.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I think the people who run just about all these organizations may start out with altruistic ideals but eventually succumb to greed and end up running them for the benefit of a very few people. It may be blasphemy in some circles but IMO along with the others listed above the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation is in this category.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, like Toomanytools I signed up for life membership in NAHC and get the mag every month and got the leather jacket but if I had it to do over again I would never join. I used to like their internet bulletin board but it has lost some key members and now doesn't get much traffic.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I am a member of the NRA, B&C, FNAWS, and Safari club.

I was a member of the NAHC, but always thought I was getting fed a raw rocky mountain oyster. I think the guy that started it did it so he could have free hunts, they provide no real service to anyone other than entertainment.

I always thought Buckmasters similiar clubs were the same. Just another way for one guy to get free hunts and make money off of someone.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The North American Hunting Club is not a "club" in any conventional sense. If you doubt it, ask them how you can, as a member of "your club", run for office or even vote for club officers or board members. The NAHC is simply a "for profit" commercial enterprise and always has been. As such, their goal has always been profit maximization not conservation, legal defense of hunting rights, etc.

They can in no way be compared to the N.R.A., FNAWS, B&C, S.C.I., etc. You are well advised to keep your hand on your wallet when dealing with them.

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i joined as a life member when i was 16 thought it would be great to find out about hunting outside of new york. now i am 44 never got one thing to test did buy a couple of knives but the mag has gotten worse over the years

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seafire, that's brilliant! What a great idea. Can't wait to try it.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIG1LOST
posted Hide Post
once years ago,,when reading millers pleading for memebers to sign up as many new members as possible,,stateing that the club only had 1/2 as many members as HE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE,,and going by how much the magazine cost as opposed to the membership fee,,$18.00 @ the time,, I figgered he was makeing quite a chunk just for having his name as the HONCHO,,so I decided I didn't want to finance his huntin' trips anymore and canceled,,the mag. is almost as bad as the NRA's!! Roll Eyes

a good horse,a churchill sized Maduro,a true rifle,and 50 year old brandy..................

Posts: 87 | Location: Louisiana,but want to be back home in the Rockies..... | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I LOOK at my membership with them the same as the one with the NRA.
When the NAHC came out I took a life charter membership. I became a life member of the NRA back in 1971.
I have received a lot of reading material from those folks over the years. Some good and some bad.
at the buy in price back then.. not a great hearburn.

NEVER fear the night. Fear what hunts IN the night.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote