New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby Ultralight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have a opinion on the quality, accuracy and value of these rifles?

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
I HAD one in .308. The quality was excellent shot fantastic .50 to .75in 3shot groups at 100 yrds but recoiled or kicked more than my 30-378. Traded it and bought the Rem 700 Titanium.

i wished i had kept it..................otto

Rem 1 to 2 in groups

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your observation. Hope you are having a great memorial day.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not own a Weatherby Ultralight, but my dad has one chambered in 25-06.

He really likes carrying the thing, it is very light and well balanced.

It shoots well as long as you do not get that darned pencil thin barrel over heated.

He has killed a BUNCH of wild hogs with it using the 100 grain Nosler Partition and likes it a lot.

They are very good rifles for the money and shoot well until they get overheated.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two Ultralightweights, a 30-06 and a 338-06 and both are superb. Light and accurate...one holers.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one chambered in .270 Weatherby Magnum. It was accurate and I killed a few game animals with it, but it never cycled well. Then I took it to Africa for plainsgame. When my delayed luggage finally arrived, I went to check its sight-in. I found that the forward screw fell out of the floorplate and all of a sudden I had a single shot. My PH turned it over to look at it and put some pressure on it, then the aluminum floorplate snapped in half. Needless to say, I wasn't happy. I sold it when I got back.

You could easily Locktite the screws down, but maybe you'd have to give it to a good gunsmith to smooth out the cycling problem. Then again, that problem may only be with sharp-shouldered Weatherby rounds. But it is a Weatherby after all.

R Flowers brought up another point. It does overheat easily.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never been a big Wby fan, then I traded into a new Ultra Lt Wt in .280 Rem. A one holer at 100 yds that has accounted for a mess of deer and elk the past several years.

Mine has been flawless with zero problems.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
I have enjoyed mine in .300 Wby. It sure did kick however and I had it braked by a local gunsmith. Beautiful stainless steel brake that blends in with barrel with only a slight swell at the crown. Shoots like a dream and very accurate. I love it now. Superbly easy to handle, carry, and aim.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Have 3 Weatherby Ultra LTWTs in various calibers and they work and shoot great. I own lots of other guns, but for a pure hunting gun to carry, I think they are hard to beat. I actually have one in 300 Win that I may be willing to part with, if anybody is interested. The 270 and 338-06 cover everthing that I need to kill. Daryl.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTTOMATIC:
I HAD one in .308. The quality was excellent shot fantastic .50 to .75in 3shot groups at 100 yrds but recoiled or kicked more than my 30-378. Traded it and bought the Rem 700 Titanium.

i wished i had kept it...
I have a 308Win Wby U-Lt and it is a great MADE IN USA rifle. I've not really noticed the recoil, but I normally shoot a lot and also shoot a good many larger rifles. And it came with a "Decelerator" recoil pad which is as good a recoil reducer as is made.

They are a bit expensive and I do believe an inexpensive Remington can easily match the accuracy. The one thing they have that I've not seen(or felt) duplicated in other rifles is the way the rifle comes to the shoulder. Mine fits me like it is "holding me" rather than me holding it. Absolutely an outstanding fit for my 6'1" frame with a great stock design.

The barrel seems to be extremely well finished both inside and outside. I shoot Moly Coated bullets in mine, which helps prevent Copper build-up. But this was as smooth as Lies on clinton's lips(either clinton) as it came from the factory.

The trigger breaks crisp and clean which is often unusual today.

Put Burris Signature scope mounts on it along with a good scope and it is one fine rifle.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote