New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 x 55 on Elk: Any Experiences
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got a last minute notice that we might have a first time Elk hunter ( Youth) going with us Elk hunting coming up.

I have got a 6.5 x 55 that I will be loaning our "sidekick" on this hunt. Anything bigger might be too much gun.

I have loaded up some ammo with a 140 grain partition at about 2750 to 2800 fps.

If anyone has had success multiple times with a 6.5 mm 140 grain partition on Elk, would appreciate how it performed for you. I would not personally hesitate to carry it, as I believe in shot placement more than footpounds.

However, kids being kids, I am curious if we will have enough of a blood trail, if the vitals are not hit squarely enough in the first shot.

Thanks for the responses in advance.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have personal experiance but the first Elk hunt (bow) I took, the guide was coming back from the Yellowstone area after a week Moose hunting with his daughter who used a .243. They didn't see a moose but it was her tag! So the 6.5 should be sufficient for a quality shot, just make sure you get the youth into good position and don't try extremly long shots.
Let us know how he does!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 penetrates really well with good bullets, should be a good choice. Shot placement!

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler sounds like a great choice, also consider the Federal load with the 140gr trophy bonded bullets. Love to hear the after hunt report.

Posts: 140 | Location: Irmo, SC | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once again no experience first hand, though I took my 6.5x55 out after elk last year. I didn't have time to get a good handload together so I bought a couple of boxes of 156gr. Norma Alaska's and felt quite confident with my equipment.

I would not hesitate for one moment to take a 140 partition at 2700-2800 fps! I would have taken a 140 XLC had I gotten a good load together before the trip.

FWIW...I would avoid the Federal factory load listed above, simple because of lower velocity, only about 2500 out of my 20" barrel.

Posts: 192 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Robin>
posted
Last year I took a large cow elk with my 6.5x55. It was loaded with 156 grain Norma Oryx at 2740 fps. The shot ws about 70 yards. She traveled about 50 yards and piled up against a fallen tree. The near side shoulder was toast, her lungs were jellow, and the bullet was lodged under the far side hide. The bullet was turned nearly inside out and weighed 95 grains. I would not hesitate to use this set up again but may go with 140 grain partition instead.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So far this year we have dropped two elk in their tracks with a 260 Rem shooting 140 gr. NP's. Its a great round. Both hunters were first timers, one a lady and the other a 12 year old kid, both shots were well in excess of 100 yards. I also used it on antelope. I have been very impressed with it so far.

Posts: 40 | Location: Casper,Wy. | Registered: 04 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken a lot of elk with a .264 and 140 grain partitions. Some at fairly long range. Only one with a .260. That was with 125 gr. partitions. Get out there and get one with that .260!! Good luck.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady also make a 160 gr Round Nose 6.5mm bullet that might be worth a look. It should surely be a decent penetrator at velocities that ensures it's integrity.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote