Find
Notify
Tools

WOLVES Eating Yellowstone Swans
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The greatest threat to wildlife is not the wolves, but man.

Greatest threat is loss of habitat, wintering grounds, and open space in general. Lost due to developement via gas and oil and housing. Housing is limited since federal lands are off limits to that type of development. These three are caused by man. But can and are being regulated but driven by the almighty dollar. The wolf has no control and is not being controlled. Quit hunting elk, more elk equals more wolves. And no elk hunting means no revenue for the G&F dept. which relys on 90% license sales here to operate. Of which a large portion comes from elk tags.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
I'd love to get involved in this one gents, but I am in some whacked internet cafe in Trail B.C.-- been in the field for the last month or so. I have investigated over 140 Mountain lion kill sites in the last few months-- all of them in prime cattle country.

Funny, still haven't sampled a single steer, horse, child or family pet. Nothing but 136 deer, 1 elk, 1 mountain goat, 1 beaver and a turkey.....

Fascinating!

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing but 136 deer,

I wonder how big affect the lion has had on our mule deer here? I have not seen more than 50 muleys this entire summer. And we have actually had some rain, and the sage is in the best shape I have seen in 7 or 8 years. My son treed 50+ in this hunt area alone last winter, only a couple were the same lion, that alone makes me think there are to many. We even have a young lion prowling our subdivision.

Don't let the canucks get you!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can someone tell me how the wolves in Yellowstone have contributed to global warming and the greenhouse effect? I'm sure that's their fault too. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IdahoVandal:
I'd love to get involved in this one gents, but I am in some whacked internet cafe in Trail B.C.-- been in the field for the last month or so. I have investigated over 140 Mountain lion kill sites in the last few months-- all of them in prime cattle country.

Funny, still haven't sampled a single steer, horse, child or family pet. Nothing but 136 deer, 1 elk, 1 mountain goat, 1 beaver and a turkey.....Fascinating! IV

Switch to wolf kill sites and you should see cattle, horses, hunting dogs, family pets and probably people in north America in the not to distant future.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can someone tell me how the wolves in Yellowstone have contributed to global warming and the greenhouse effect? I'm sure that's their fault too

No, the libs on here want to blame Bush, it is all his fault, and if they could, they would have loved to have re-elected klinton for another 4 years, so as to preserve the endangered species act and all of these liberal wildlife plans.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kudu, your son treed 50+ lions in one winter, in one hunt area???

bull bsflag

Heck Snapper, you better stay down there on the overpopulated, over developed front range...wouldn't want a wolf to get you.

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kudu, your son treed 50+ lions in one winter, in one hunt area???

Not a big deal, 40 to 50 is a usual winter, and encompass's maybe two Wyoming lion areas. Every outfitter I know trees 30 or more.
Yup, and 75 for the entire season, which includes hunting in Utah and New Mexico. He works for two outfitters, and chases lion and bear from November through June. He spends, easily 200 days a year in the outdoors, I would bet he could, if he wanted to, produce a picture of every single bear and lion, treed. I currently have 300 pictures on my pc of mountain lions he has treed. You can doubt me, but don't doubt my kid and his ability to train and run hounds.,

And this being the net, I don't, and nor does he, need to prove a thing, but I can assure you, in his 27 years of life, he has been running cats for 12 of them I would put him up against anyone except the outfitter, who he currently works for.

There are a lot more lion than you think.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and all were in the Big Horn mountains in the same lion area . Of the 50 treed, I think only 9 were shot, and I have no idea how many bear and lion in utah and New Mexico.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't doubt that you son is probably a darn good houndsman, but...

bsflag

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes Whatever, but there are more lion than you think, and it is quite common to see them even not while hunting. Get out of your air conditioned goverment office some time and you will find out! 50 treed cats is not uncommon either, thats less than one a day, and in the same area. Depends on the area, the areas adjacent to the park, cats have become scarce and few take hounds into those areas due to the wolves. Other parts of the state, such as in or near the Big Horns, there are lots of cats, why else have they had high quota's, additional tags, and almost a year long season? Just ask around. Sorry, I am not compelled to beat my chest concerning my sons profession and passion. Especially on the internet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because I think your numbers are bull.

I'm not disagreeing that there aren't a lot of cats, nor that your son isn't a good houndsman, but your full of shit.

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Full of shit as how? The numbers treed? How would you know? Have you ever been? If a houndsman spends a 100+ days running cats, it is quite easy to tree 50. Kittens to mature males and females. 50 is not uncommon in a full season. The season is almost year long. And the actual number is 75 for Wy. Ut. and Nm. Now you can attack that number and call me a liar. But like I said, this is net, I have no need to spew bullshit, nor no need to brag. Just facts, that I think I can document with photos. Like I said, he has photos and video's of every cat he runs and trees, as well as bears. So let me see if I can down load them, and send as many as possible. You will dispute that also, so I am not sure if that will work either, as that is just your nature. I have all afternoon since I am on call. And it is a slow day except for the bikers coming through and I am trying to put my elephant tusks up, and you will call bullshit on that to I am sure!

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes thery are all different lion, and all from last season, Nov. to May. I found one file of his with over 200 photos. Now tear it up and run your gumbs. I don't really want to spend "ALL" afternoon trying to prove a point with you of all people.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes one is inside a barn and the 5 point bull was killed by the cat in the previous pic in the tree.

Ok, enough, you are boring me, any time you are here, look me up, come over for a beer, and I will show the rest and any more you so desire, all from one season. Bear from New Mexico. And the elephant tusks to.

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:

Ok, enough, you are boring me

+ 1

Nice

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures!

Madgoat, the only one here who needs a "BS" lesson is you. Talk to anyone that has a little lion experience and does it full time and you'd soon find out you're the one that needs his bull chit o meter fixed.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I am saying is, there are lot of cats in some areas, and it is not uncommon to tree 40 to 50 in a season from a single area. bewildered

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice pictures!

Thank you, they are all my sons, his energy and passion, and I am truly not trying to BS anyone. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
talk to anyone that has a little lion experience and does it full time and you'd soon find out you're the one that needs his bull chit o meter fixed.

I have hunted cats on several occasions and know plenty of houndsmen. I know how hard it is to run a lion, that is why I'm calling bull. To each his own.

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes If any houndsman can't run and tree 75 cats in a 200 day time frame, he isn't much of a houndsman, he needs to go back to chasing birds with a lab.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess your dogs must be able to scale rock walls and climb trees then... Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes Most can!

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Here are some of the kitty's I follow.....

This is Oliver.... the same cat that is in my avatar (he is a little older now)........

Here is Lexy, Mara and Ainsley......(and me....)

Back from the field soon.......

IV

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd pet her pussy if she'd put that cat down.

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
1) I am not a "her"
2) It is "cats" not "cat" (plural-- there are 3)

3) My "pussy" is not for you to pet (nor comment about.....so it is removed......in good fun-- of course Wink)

IV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
all are wild game and eligable for the hunt.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IV,
I thought you were working on mule deer/whitetail hybridization?

For what particular reasons are you chasing lions?

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great photos IV, when my son gets back I will show them to him, he will get a kick out of them.

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Hi Brent:

Part of the data collection for my hybridization project are cougar kills. We are going to compare the proportion of hybrids within three sub-groups: roadkill, hunter kill and cougar kill.

I will say the cougar kill portion is much more exciting then peeling tissue off the asphalt.

I am looking forward to roaming around during hunting season and seeing what everyone kills.......

IV

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool. It would be way cool if you get a difference with the hybrids in any of those categories. I hope you have enough of a sample size to figure that out with some power. I don't recall anyone looking at naturally occuring hybrids (of animals) and differences in sources of mortality. An interesting idea that I look forward to hearing about down the road.

VERY cool pictures!

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote