THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Favorite bullet weight in .300 Winchester Magnum

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Favorite bullet weight in .300 Winchester Magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
200gr NP or Grand Slam, whichever is the most accurate. And usually its a push. I have never shot any lesser bullet than a 200gr in a 300WM. And nothing I've seen nor read gives me any reason to change. 200gr's @2800+ = dead animal(s). In the off season, I practice with 200gr hot cores.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I use the 180 grain Swift A Frame for accuracy concerns more than any thing else.

I took my M70 300 Win Mag with the above load at 3180 FPS to SA for a plains game hunt and had 5 one shot kills on Kudu, Waterbuck, Gemsbuck, Springbuck and Jackal. I had to follow up with two shots on an Eland only because of poor shooting......

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It used to be 180 or 200 grs Nosler Partitions - still good choices. But these days, a 168 gs Barnes Triple Shock is my preferred bullet - if I can get it to shoot in the .300 Win Mag in question.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious to see what everyone prefers as far as bullet weight goes in they're .300 Win Mag.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally use the 200 grain Nosler Accubond in my .300 WM. Took my first game with it last week (4x4 mule deer). I am amazed at how many people have voted for the 125 grain projectile. What do these folks hunt with that. The only thing I could see hunted with that is smallish whitetails or varmints. Sure would hate to see someone tackling and elk or moose with one of those

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote