New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lucky gun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it just me or do some guns just seem to be lucky? Went deer hunting this weekend on Saturday with the 375 H&H hunted all day didn't see a thing, Sunday morning took the new to me Ruger RSI in 250 sav hunted morning, Nothing. Went home and did some chores decided to just go and sit for the evening with the Old model 7 in 7-08Rem my go to gun for most of my hunting for 20 years and a nice little buck came home with me. I'm like alot of people and and buy something new quite often both, the other guns are new to me,and I haven't killed anything with them. I like to take the new stuff to the field but It seems that my old rifle is what I always kill with. Just seems odd as I don't hunt with it a much as I used to. It is the only gun that is mentioned in my will to go to my first grandchild along with my knife and compass. Maybe I should stop hunting with anything else! Nah that wouldn't be fun.

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I thought you and that 7-08 were attached at the hip or something! shocker shocker clap beer

Mine changes from time too time, but for the past few years it has been my .35 Whelen, my .375 H&H and .300 Weatherby, are close seconds.

One gun I am working with more, that seems to bring some luck is my .38-55 Winchester. Don't know that a shot will present itself, but I am really hoping to kill a cow elk with it in Colorado next month.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I do take it with me when I go hunt out of state. It would be like going to a dance without your favorite girl. Cool I just got back from Wyoming antelope hunting and it didn't let me down. I just don't get it about hunting with other rifles. The last couple of years I hunted with a Model 99 savage in 308 for most of the deer season.Nothing?? Take the model 7 for a day and i would get a deer. funny thing I have let Konner my youngest hunt with it and he can't kill anything. he hates the rifle. This year I've really wanted to shoot something with the 375 H&H but seems not to be in the cards so far. I've drawn some Doe tags this year so hopefully it will change. I hope you get your Cow Elk with your 38-55 cool old chambering. I can't prove it but I think we just get comfortable with a rifle and it helps us hunt better. I have borrowed a quite a few rifles over the years and shot stuff but it seems my new toys don't have good MOJO.I'm a gun nut so I will always be buying.

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Senator
posted Hide Post
CrazyHorseConsulting:
I love the 38-55 cal. I have two of them a 1904 Winchester 1894 26" oct.barrel mirror bore.
A Marlin lever gun 30-30 rebarreled to 38-55. I shoot cast bullets. Great deer gun, if you keep it under 150yrds.
Good luck
The Senator

Life Member NRA
Life Member CA Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
DOJ Certified Handgun Instructor
Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Posts: 535 | Location: Lincoln, CA 95648 | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Many Thanks for your comments Sir. I don't know that the opportunity will present itself but I think the .38-55, if I do my part, is capable of a lot more killing than many people believe.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote