New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case splitting
 Login/Join

<RAO>
posted
I bought some Federal 175gr,7x57 cartridges which appeared old and dull.So I decided to use them for casual shooting.I had only fired third shot when lot of smoke blow out of action and magazine plate.
At first I thought I had raptured primer,but was shocked to find out that the case split near shoulder.Closer examination revealed that the splitting happened on the oval shaped brown spot.
I also found similar spots on other cartridges with some green powder on them.I think that green powder was due to the oxidation of brass.
My rifle never had any problem like that before and I ceased firing those problem cartridges.I wonder what was the cause of case splitting and appearing of those marks on cases.
Also how old is old enough and what is expected life of properly stored cartridges.Can those troubled cartridges be saved in any way or are they wasted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brass ect as improve over the years. How old is to old. That is a hard one I have stuff the is dated from th 60's no trouble then other stuff that wasn't store right that is no good after ten years or so. I brought a bunch of Mil. 8mm dated in the 50's haven't had a bit of trouble with the cases. The hard primers are some times a pain. If it was store properly a very long time. If has been exposed to some kind of chemicals not very long. If it looks bad don't shoot it.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Contact Federal with the lot number on the box and explain the situation. They will probably make things right and would want to know about a potential problem. Is there any chance these are not factory but reloads someone is trying to pass off?

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sounds like thats pretty old stuff and lord knows what it has been subjected to..I would dump it and start over. Maybe Fed will replace it but I doubt they have any legal or moral obligation to.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote