THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: 308 Ballistic Silvertips and a Wild Pig.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 308 Ballistic Silvertips and a Wild Pig.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I guess your wife failed to read all of the posts about how a Ballistic Tip isn't fit for any game larger than mice and won't even make it through the skin of a hog.

The performance you describe is typical of that I've had with Ballistic Tips, although I find retained weight usually only about 55%-60% rather than the 70% or so you experienced. The solid base design provides a lot more penetration than Ballistic Tip detractors are willing to recognize. Insofar as meat spoilage, I try to avoid shooting my game in the hind quarters or backstrap no matter what bullet I'm shooting; that pretty well negates "meat spoilage".

As to hogs, I load 150 gr. BT's for my son's .30-06 at 3000 fps. He seems to run into more hogs than any of us in our hunting group, and he's yet to use more than a single shot on one, much less have one run off wounded.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Nothing like a good ole' NBT to get the job done on those porkers.

The biggest boar (500#) I've taken dropped at the impact of a .284 150 grain NBT traveling @ 3150 fps MV. I hit him through the "Shields" also.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote