New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Elk with a 356 Win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
No experience with the caliber, but moderate experience with second season...it is a tough one.

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with the 356 but I have shot two deer and one hog with the Speer 220's out of my 350. My load is traveling 2,700 fps and the bullet held together fine on a hog weighing 245 lbs dressed. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk with one.

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I recall reading about a few hillbillies who consider their 35 Remingtons adequate for Elk, that I wouldnt do. But a 356, no problem. I would however make it a point to try to get within 150 yds or better, especially on a big bull. I think it sounds like a hunt to be remembered..

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. My biggest concern was (is) penetration and performance of the speer bullet in the 356 Win. I'll also be taking my 7 mag in the event the elk aren't in the really thick stuff yet.

A couple of years ago in this area the bull I shot was about 100 yards out. While also hunting a ridge with another guy we jumped a BIG bedded bull at less than 50 yds. Couldn't count the points until he turned to run (downhill). Guess that's why I'm headed back.

Anyone else hunted elk in the the Montrose area? Thanks again...