New
Find
Notify
Tools

boots creaking?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My boots creak. While you are quietly stalking around you can hear these bloody leather creaking sounds, I guess made by the leather rubbing against itself.

Is there anything you can do to elimate this annoying little noise?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy new boots!

Sorry! [Razz] [Big Grin]

I have had this happen a few times. If the sound is from the sole area the shank may be cracked or broken. In wich case you are looking for new boots.

My buddy had an expensive pair of boots get noisy on him so he took them to a shoemaker. Problem fixed. I don't know what he did. You might want to try that.

Good luck!

Jamie

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Meindles that do the same...have done since new...seems to be from around the bellows tongue area...

I wish i could say that I cured it, but I have not. It helps to gob plenty of wax or what ever and keep them laced up real tight.

Anyways I know have a pair of Aigle boots, the tall cordora/goretex ones and they are brilliant for stalking...I will keep the Meindles for winter work in the snow..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Have you tried leather balm to recondition the leather. I have had that problem too. I used Sno-seal made of bees wax to soften the leather.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Oz we have a product called Dubbin, it's a leather waterproofing, softening and preserving product for boots and all leathers (basiclly a leather condition). I had the same problem as you and have been using this product for as long as I can remember, and it has worked beautifully.
It may take a few applications and a couple of days to let the conditioner soak in, but once this is done your boots will be shit loads better.
Good luck

Posts: 30 | Location: close | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New saddles creak as well, and makes the darn thing sound to new. So....one trick to shut them up is to turn them upside down and give them a healthy dose of baby powder. Makes them sound better and as a bunus, it makes you smell oh so sweet [Smile] .

Disclaimer: this side affect can be hazerdous to your health depending on those you cowboy or hunt with. So unless you are of large stature and confident in your ability to defend yourself, use plain unscented talcum powder.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Neatsfoot oil should stop it. I tried a bunch of different things that didn't work before Danner suggested I use Neatsfoot oil and it worked like a charm.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
double-click deleted

[ 10-27-2003, 19:23: Message edited by: wingnut ]

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Get new boots. See my ad under Classifieds.

"BRAND NEW Danner boots".

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a pair of L.L. Bean boots that sqeaked but I cured that with a heavy application of mink oil. Neatsfoot oil, Sno-seal, or similar would probably work as well.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote