THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Utah Mule Deer - Hunt Report (pic heavy)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Utah Mule Deer - Hunt Report (pic heavy)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted
Just got back from a wonderful mule deer hunt in Utah... thought I would share a report and some photos.

Outfitter: Devil's Gate Outfitters, Jake Peterson
Guide: Bill Nyeberg
Hunters: Myself - Andy Cobb (Frank & Brad from California were hunters in camp as well)
Dates: Oct 26 - Nov 1
Rifle: Ruger M77 Mark II, Stainless/Laminate - 300 Win Mag
Ammo: Factory Federal, 180 grain Trophy Tip
Other Equipment: Vortex Diamondback 10 X 42 binoculars, Kenetrek gaiters

I started researching a mule deer hunt and narrowed down my selection to a handful of outfits.
After getting in contact with Jake Peterson and checking some repeat client references, the decision was made and the hunt was booked.
The Coldwater Ranch is a 30,000+ acre cattle ranch with some beautiful terrain. The ranch is a CWMU, Cooperative Wildlife Management Unit, and there is no draw required for tags... this along with Devil's Gate Outfitters offering 1 X 1 guided hunts figured into my decision.

Jake contacted me the week before the hunt and advised bringing some warm clothing as there was two feet of snow on the mountain. This would be quite an adventure for an old hunter from Alabama, as well as a couple of young guys from California. Camp is situated in the mountains at about 6500 feet elevation and consists of a cook tent and a larger tent to eat meals. Sleeping quarters are comfortable RV Trailers with heat and hot showers.

With the snow and the steep terrain, getting around on the ranch was a concern, but with four wheel drive trucks with tire chains and ATVs, all but the steepest roads on the ranch could be traveled. Here are a few photos of the hunting grounds.

The deer were really on there feet feeding and in the pre-rut mode. We saw lots of mule deer, elk, and moose and had the chance to look over quite a few mule deer bucks before deciding on one to shoot. With the deep snow, hunting was mostly done by driving the ranch roads and spotting deer then accessing the trophy quality with binoculars and spotting scopes before committing to a stalk.

My guide, Bill, and me spotted 12 good bucks the first morning before we got a look at one I wanted. He was spotted high on a steep ridge line with a doe and a smaller buck. We got the spotting scope on him and studied him for some time before we decided I should shoot this buck. However, by the time our decision was made, the deer fed over the ridge and out of sight. We traveled on for a couple of miles looking at more deer and decided to head back to camp for a bite to eat. As we drove past the ridge the buck was on, Bill stopped to glass and spotted him again... too far for a shot. We made a plan to return to camp, get some food, and take the Polaris Ranger ATV to the top of the ridge and try to relocate the buck.

I thought it was a long shot to find the buck again in this vast country, but I underestimated my guide. We drove the Ranger to the top and stopped every so often as more terrain came into view and glassed for deer. Finally, after covering the mountain for quite some way, the ridge the buck had been on came into view. We glassed the ridge across a draw for a while and did not see any deer. Bill said we should walk over to the edge of this draw and glass down into it, which is just what we did. Bill spots the buck 3/4 of the way down in the draw feeding. The buck is alone feeding and has his head buried in a juniper, oblivious to our presence. Bill confirms it is the same buck and I sit down in the snow and get on the shooting sticks. The buck is quartering away at 168 yards and I have all the time I need to steady myself for the shot. At the shot the buck bucks and runs about forty yards downhill and goes down.

We have quite the celebration back at camp... Frank had killed his buck the day before, which was the day of arrival and not even a scheduled hunting day.

Bill caping my buck.

Bill & me.

My antlers.

We had even more of a celebration the next night after Brad filled his tag after passing a good buck on day one. The guides took time to do some rough scoring of the bucks and we celebrated some more. Brad's buck had matching sticker points and Frank's had all kinds of cheaters with at least a couple of inch long points coming off the brow tines.
Three good bucks down by day two!!!

Here are the racks of the three bucks: left to right, Frank's 194", my 167", and Brad's 187"

We stayed on the mountain a couple of more days and started breaking down camp before the snow melt made the roads too messy. When we left the mountain the snow was starting to melt on the south facing slopes and in the sunny spots. It was a fantastic trip!!!

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
glad you had fun. looks c o l d !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on some darn nice deer!

Posts: 144 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
nice deer and country Cool

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Great pictures thanks for posting

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story, and great pics to go along with it. I really enjoyed reading it. Congrats on a great deer, and an obviously fun hunt.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome, congratulations!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great bucks there!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great buck and beautiful country.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures and good buck. Thx for sharing!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report
Those are some nice Bucks!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Great hunt, beautiful country. Some very nice pictures.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ghostbird;

Your photos are totally amazing!!!!

Congratulations on some great deer too!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.
The snow made it quite an adventure and a great trip.

I've been hunting whitetails here at home and trying to get my 21 year old daughter her first deer.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ghostbird,

Super report, super photos and sounds like a super hunt...thanks for sharing your adventure.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Super report and excellent photos. Well done!!! clap

Oh, and nice bucks, too! Wink

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice photos and some super deer.

One of Us
Picture of ragsxd
posted Hide Post
great buck and pics thanks

Posts: 53 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 29 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report and hunt. Thanks for sharing!

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice, Very Nice.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote