Find
Notify
Tools

What boots for deadfalls.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
Just spent the weekend, 14 hours on Saturday, chasing elk in the thickest, nastiest stuff I've ever been in my life and it was with 12" of new snow. Temps down to the teens this am and 25 deg yesterday while it was still snowing. My Russell Sheep Hunters did an admiral job of keeping my feet warm and dry but, man, they weigh over 5 lbs. My legs are killing me and I spent the summer hiking, with a backpack, and lifting weights.

What boots have you used that were lighter yet still kept you warm and dry with the necessary support for tough elk hunting?

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like la sportiva pamir they are about 1 1/2 pounds and have alots of support

Posts: 166 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Danner Elk Hunters.

When I was a young elk hunter, I rode a 15 speed bike to and from work year round, hilly country , 12 miles round trip. Strapped on leg weights for the bike trips. Never had sore legs when hunting, even out in our steep Pacific NW mountain jungles.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same boots and buy a stair stepper. Hiking over relatively flat ground isn't like lifting your body weight up a foot every step you take.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote