Find
Notify
Tools

Benefits of PP for Bear in Colorado?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
Is there are real benefit of accumulating perference points for bear in Colorado? There are only a few units that require more than 1 PP to draw. Is there an advantage of harvesting a bear in those units that require more than 1 point?

Thanks,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you are trying to pull a tag for the Bosque del Oso, one of the areas around Trinidad or one of the Ranching for Wildlife hunts, you probably don't need to stockpile points for bear.

That being said, I have 10 points myself. I do this because after I retire from the USN, I'm going to do a major expedition for the entire fall and want to be able to draw just about any tag I want. I have 14 for elk, 10 for deer, 9 for antelope, 10 for bear, 3 plus 8 weighted for sheep and 3 plus 7 weighted for moose. The only thing I don't have a lot of points for is goat because I drew and filled that tag in 2001 and haven't been able to apply until 5 years passed.

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
IMO----no need to get more than 1. The unit I hunt down here usually takes 1 point to draw. CB

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Graybird
There are opportunities every year to collect preference points and still hunt bear in Colorado while you are waiting for the right hunt or the right unit that equals your points collected.
I've got 7 bear points and have had many over the counter bear tags or leftover bear tags with caps in those 7 years but have killed no bears as I am looking for a big one. I've passed on plenty of bear opportunities on average and small bears, the hard to draw areas have a propensity to produce above average sized bears.
I am gathering points while I decide what it is I want to do with them. Never hurts to have too many points cuz if you need them all of a sudden then there is no way to get them.
Good luck
Hey lets get out and go shoot later this month!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Hey lets get out and go shoot later this month!

Sounds good give me a call when you get a chance. I've got a few new loads worked up for my 204 that I need to test out. I'll be around most of this month!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote