one of us
posted
This was sent to me in an email, so I can't verify any of it:

"This hog was killed in Texas recently. The man in the picture
killed him, it took 3 shots from a 7 mag.� The afternoon before,
he saw this hog eating on the side of the road.� He pulled over,
and when he slammed the door on his truck, the hog spooked, and
charged him.� He rammed the side of his truck and put a huge dent
in it and popped 2 holes in the metal where his tusks hit.

He went back in camo the next morning and sat by a fence.� The hog
came out and he shot once and the hog turned and looked at him.
Shot him again and he went to his knees and got back up.� Shot him the
third time and put him down.� The rest of the story is the
picture.� Weighed over 800 lbs."

-

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's a shame. People here in Texas are always killin' our little ones before they have time to grow up. [Wink]

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the story is a fake. I saw the same picture
3 years ago and the guy was promoting hog
hunting at his place. He claimed the hog
weighed 1000 pounds and he shot it with
a bow. Whoever mailed the email is blowing
smoke and you should treat mail from him
as such.

Posts: 141 | Location: Upstate, New York | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of things....(1) it's two photos combined..look at the shading around the hog.
(2) a cowpony or really big elk will weigh in at 800+ pounds so even if the photo were real that ain't no 800 lb hog unless the fellow standing next to it weights 450 or so.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
That hog is nowhere close to 800 pounds. I take a lot of hogs and am always amazed at how much people over-estimate their weight. A month ago I had a client take a nice Boar with big cutters. Everyone in camp estimated it to weigh 3-350 pounds. I estimated "200 max". It weighed 187 pounds. I wouldn't hazard a guess on a photo, but I would be shocked if it even weighed half of the claimed 800 pounds.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, a faked photo, obvious from the lighting and faked shadow outlining both the smirking hominid and the hog.

That hog is small and skinny and blown up by photoshop, or whatever manipulation, then superimposed. Where are the tusks that poked holes in the pickup truck? Tee hee. Thanks for the laughs. [Big Grin]

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen that photo somewhere before...? I am no expert on hogs, but have taken quite a few and agree that that hog is probably shy of 800 lbs by about 400... maybe more? Never the less its a heavy hog. Also a few more pics would help determine how well *fed* that hog is, maybe someone will dig more up.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Yep its a big pig.....but not 800lb (400 or so kg [Roll Eyes] ). Not having a go at you Rick, but if he charged the truck he would of hit with the top of his snout, it doesn't look like its teeth protrude past the top of its nose to make two holes in the door.JMHO

Bakes

Posts: 7996 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
This internet myth has had almost as much mileage as JJ Hack's "400" cougar which has been killed over and over again all over the country. JJ's buddy took a great 200lb. tom in Washington while hunting with him. The photo started to show up in Texas as having been shot on various ranches with some really great stories. Oh, well.......

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
Now it's my turn to put the facts of the story on the board.
To begin with, the photo isn't doctored. What you see is a shaddow on the left side of all the foreground objects from a flash, that's close to the lens, on an inexpensive Point&Shoot camera (I'm a professional photographer & graphic artist). The hog wasn't doctored in Photoshop.
The hog was shot twice with a bow- here's the original story.
http://steglich.net/red/redpubs/1-25/1251.htm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, excuse me y'all if I have flown off the handle, and if that is really a whopper boar, and an unmanipulated photo. Some internet prankster has attached a bogus story to it, eh? Further details as promised in the original year 2000 source article would be interesting if they could be found.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, well...

See if you like this one.... [Big Grin]

(It's not from Texas....)

-

[ 05-19-2003, 20:09: Message edited by: rick3foxes ]

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The largest hog I ever knew of for sure that was shot in Texas weighed 553 lbs and he appeared to be as big as that one...

A ranchers wife shot it with a 25-35 Win. M-94 after it walked in a pen and killed a 700 lb. colt and then proceeded to eat it...Anne shot him right between the eyes...He died so fast he still had guts in his mouth...Happened on one of Jess Rainys ranches.

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

We had a 6 year old durock boar that broke a tooth off and was gaunt when we shipped him. He looked about the same frame wise as this hog. He weighed 756 lbs.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
We have a pig hunting comp in a place called Pine Creek every year. The biggest pig went 140kg. Thats a big pig in my area.

Bakes

Posts: 7996 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I remember when that story first came out in Texas Trophy Hunters mag. It gives you a new perspective when you realize that the hunter is 6'7"!

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg,
Man that is a big hog and a big boy that shot him, but why did he need a gun, he looks like he could a got that hog with a big stick.

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man them hogs sure get big in a feed lot. No way, no how that is a wild hog.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Safarischorsch>
posted
Please tell me if i am wrong but the biggest boar ever has been shot 2 years ago in russia. 398KG...

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, they're hunting feedlot hampshires down in texas? That's what this former Iowa pig farmer would call it. It may be feral, but it's not wild....

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a hamp! Feral at best, but I have seen farm raised hamps hit 800# and more. Still a huge hog.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, a hamp or crossbreed feral farm pig. Look at the white legs and white hair on the back, and tiny teeth. I would not have been interested in killing that pig if paying by the pound at the game farm or feedlot. I don't like pork that much. I don't even care about the supposedly forthcoming details of part two of the above "real" story. If I found a pig like that, I would smack him on the backside with the butt of my spear to shoo him off, and see if he would "squeal like a pig."

one of us
posted Hide Post
This Texas hog pic is circulating in email again, some with the story it was shot just a couple weeks ago, The orginal story appears to be true.

http://steglich.net/red/redpubs/1-25/1251.htm

This story is growing legs like Jim's (Dalliwacker's) man eating bear story from Alaska.

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Some domestic/farm boars have no problem weighing 1,000 lbs. but they don't look that heavy unless you understand that hogs are just heavier than they look as compared to cattle. Horses just don't carry anywhere near the weight as cattle do with comparable frames.