Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freelance Mule Deer in SE MT
 Login/Join

posted
Thinking about going next fall. Heard licenses have been OTC the last few years. Anyone done it? Success rate? Any other info I need to be aware of?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BabyFacedAssassin:
Thinking about going next fall. Heard licenses have been OTC the last few years. Anyone done it? Success rate? Any other info I need to be aware of?

OTC in Montana? Sounds like something that needs an investigation...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14612 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can buy a license until they run out of them for $565.00.They had a massive Winter kill two years ago in SE Montana.Could you shoot a Buck.Maybe,but not much size to them right now.I think you would do better in another part of the State until the herd recovers.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure come on out buy the license take your chances,spend money for gas,food,lodging.Help us out in Mt

Posts: 371 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powder River and Carter Counties have fair/good public land access and a few friendly landowners. Check the Block Management access for the area.

Mule deer numbers in the area have declined in the last few years due to hard winters. Last year, I didn't see near as many as I would have ten years ago. I would estimate a 60% decline. That said, there are deer there for a hunter willing to search them out. Expect lots of walking in moderate terrain, and lots of glassing to find deer.

The area has no antlerless licenses anymore as a result of the winter kill. Used to be, you could shoot 4 does.

There are whitetail there as well and some surprising bucks come out of that area.

All that said, I can't recommend the area given the high price of the tag. I think you can do better cheaper in CO, or WY.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BabyFacedAssassin:

Big game Non-Resident licenses are NOT "OTC" they're by lottery with a March 15 cutoff date. Since the licenses are so overpriced, there are thousands left over every year, and the leftovers are sold "first come first served" but still not really OTC. Go to the Montana FW&P website for an explanation of the licensing process. I have hunted in SE Montana since 1994 and deer numbers are less than 20% of what tbey were prior to 2006. I'm laying off hunting there for at least 2-3 years hoping tbe herd bounces back.As of today there are still 561 deer licenses left at $575 each per the MT FW&P website.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote