Find
Notify
Tools

Deer recovery?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted
My buddy called me tonight and told me he shot a deer with his bow but hasn't recovered it yet. He wants me to go tomorrow and look for it and wants to know if the meat will still be safe to eat. I didn't know what to tell him since I've never had this happen to me. It's been in the 50's this evening. What do you guys think?

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will know if it is bad after you get it gutted and skinned. You might jump it in the morning, or you might find it dead. If he hit the guts you will lose some meat around the ribs and the surounding area. When you get it home skin it, hang it up and wash the whole thing with the garden hose inside and out. Make sure to split the chest all the way up the windpipe. Make sure to wash it REAL GOOD. If it is cold enough let it hang for a few days before you cut it up. If not get it cut up the next day.

Good luck
Tony

Posts: 132 | Location: Anacortes WA | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Pumpkinheaver,

We checked a "next morning" archery deer in earlier this year at a butcher shop. The guy who checked it said that if it had been fed upon, THROW IT AWAY. Said Coyotes carry Tuleremia (sp?) and piss on their food - not worth the risk.

If it hadn't been fed upon, and you find it early enough, it is probably OK.

FWIW,

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did a little search - I think I'll pass....
http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/tularemia/index.asp

Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Well I don't have to worry about it, we didn't find it. Searched for hours this morning and just couldn't find it. I think he just nicked the deer, he swears he hit it solid. The blood trail went for roughly 100yds then stopped. If he had hit it solidly it would have been dead by then.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have helped find more then one deer that wa out all night I have yet to get find one that was worth eating even after a lot colder temps the the 50's.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote