Find
Notify
Tools

What bullet would you use?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted
I'm trying to find out what bullet I'm going to use this atum. I have three different factory loadings.

The first the remington Core-lock 180grain blunt nose

the second is Laupa Mega 185grain,

and the third is a copy of the Sierra Gameking 180grain made by cbc in Brazil called Odin.

The Odin is bit cheaper than the others but all are cheap when compared to Nosler and Oryx (Half the price).

I used the Odin on moose and roe last atum with no problems. But it made a big hole in the roe on the way out. I what the least posible meat distruction, but with safe kills. I wonder if the Mega does that.
All the shooting is done with a 308win and at less than 200 yard. I'm going to hunt roe, red deer and moose.

I'd like input on personal exprense with this bullets, do they kill swiftly?, do they damage much meat? I guess that the Odin will preform like the sierra game king.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not used the .308 Sierra Gameking, but I have used the 220 .308, the 130 .277 and the 250 .338. I found all to be soft. On broadside shots that is not a problem. On deer soft bullets work best. But if you are planning on shooting a moose in the hind end and getting penetration up to the vital organs in the chest, I would suggest considering the expense of 1 box of Noslers just for the Moose hunt.

Or maybe someone local could reload a few noslers for you.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I use the 180 grain remington "Core-lokt" in my 30/06. I've never had a problem. I've taken 16 or so elk with that bullet. I will use it on moose also if I ever get drawn for a tag. Bullet, I use is the pointed soft point not the round nose.

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Any one of them will get the job done, my friend kills elk with 165 gr game kings from a 308.

Posts: 10169 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only one I've had personal experience with was the Remington Core Lokt. It's a very good bullet.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Dice2>
posted
Less meat loss is it? Well then just get yourself a box of Barnes X bullets (180 grain) and your problems are solved. Stay off the shoulder also. [Smile]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you experimented with woodeligh bullets ?, I love them.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going deer hunting for the first time this year and probably elk hunting next year. I chose the Barnes XLC 180g in .308 as my starting load. I know it's a bit much for deer, but it's what I intend to use for elk unless I can get a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 or another smaller fast flat shooting caliber. (I am leaning towards a .338)

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
<K9>
posted
I've only tried the Mega of the bullets mentioned (and then a 200 grain .308 bullet). I shot a couple of roe deer behind the shuolder with it and they expired fast enough with almost no meat damage (as would be expected from most bullets at that kind of placement).
Cheers
K9

one of us
posted Hide Post
308winchester,

I have used the 180 core-lokt RN on whitetail deer with complete success in 308, and have been on moose hunts with my brother, where moose were taken with the round nose 180 core-lokt. I can recommend these bullets from my limited experience for your hunting situation.

DP

Posts: 115 | Location: Maine USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

First I don't like Nosler. It is no use arguing. It's personal.

I like round nose bullets. I think I will use The Mega. It is a bit heavier and I like the heavy for caliber bullet. They don't usally go as fast as the light ones. I think moderat speed are the best.

Woodeligt and barnes are probably good bullets, but I haven't seen them at my local shop, I guess they are in the price class of nosler. Around $60 for 20. The remington and Mega is half the price.

I will limit my self to broad side shoot in the heart lung area. If I can I'll shot a bit behind the shoulder. I shoot one moose in the shoulder last autum with the odin bullets. It was around 20 meters away. There were 3 moose comming at me. I shoot at the first one. It had been shot at before. It had a wound in one front leg. When I hit the shoulder, he turned and went away from me. I shoot it again. This time the bullet went in just infront of the stomach and out infront of the front leg on the opposite side. The moose fell. I did't find any bullets. I think the first one was in the lungs. The lungs where an unholly mess, the bullets had done a good job inside. The hole in the shoulder was't that big. So it must have gotten to the lungs, but not out. It could have blown up. I think the odin bullet is a bit soft. On the roe it made a hole as big as a fist on the way out.

Johan

[ 07-02-2002, 17:55: Message edited by: 308winchester ]

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Kimmo E>
posted
I like the mega its cheap but does its job on moose.(8 mooses none ran over 100y)

Kimmo