THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    How do you scout a new hunting area/state?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you scout a new hunting area/state?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
Just recently moved to AZ and beginning to explore the hunting opportunities. Since the state is split into Game Management Units, and most hunts are draws, I need to narrow down which units to apply for. I've been to the local ranger station and picked up maps but the ranger on duty was obviously not a hunter and of no help. Next stop is the local DGF office and burn some diesel scouting the local area.
Any other suggestions?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk to the Local Game Biologist in charge of the areas you are interested in.Most are glad to let you pic their brain.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Decide on the species that live in your area, and which ones you want to hunt.

2. Find out how much of the unit is public land, and if it will do for your hunt.

3. Get good surface management/ownership maps from the BLM or USFS. That can include getting a Flat Line map of the specific unit. Most archery or hunting shops will carry them.

4. Now that you've learned the areas, ask informed questions of the local biologist or game warden about your area.

5. Go out and put boots on the ground!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To second Oldbiker wouldn't a call to a AZ F&G biologist be helpful? When I lived in AK those guys were gold when you didn't know about an area.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Plenty of guys here from AZ
They should be gold mine of info as well

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Use a GPS and keep it on at all times to show the local law enforcement when an Ahole landowners call the law on you claiming that the maps and gps are all wrong.

Maybe that's just Montana.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would expect AZ has maps and or lists
of game killed per unit. CO does, that's
a great way to get an idea if there's game there
or not.
CO also shows numbers of apps, sex, species killed in each area.

I'd bet AZ does the same thing. Start by getting on az g&f site and see what you can learn. Much cheaper than diesel these days.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Since the state is split into Game Management Units, and most hunts are draws, I need to narrow down which units to apply for.

Any other suggestions?

Eastman's hunting has breakdowns for all the western states. They would cover Arizona in one for the issues early next year so I would subscribe now.

The also offer a more in depth version for each western state in a bound edition for something like $50. I would try to purchase that right away. It will save you a lot of time and gas.

From my experience the learning curve is very steep for all western states. I takes a lot of research to get up to speed. I think that Eastman's or The Hunting Fool would put you way ahead of the game.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help! I will definitely stop by AZ G&F soon, their headquarters is only about 10 miles from our house. Will check out the publications also.
Unit 21 and 22 are just North of us and mostly Tonto Natl Forest so I'll probably focus on them first. They get a lot of pressure since we are near Phoenix but if I can talk mama into letting me use the horses, we should be able to get into some remote territory.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
You have to decide what kind of hunting you're looking for. Do you just want a tag, and to be able to hunt, with maybe a shot opportunity at a "legal" buck/bull? Or are you after a true "trophy" animal? Those will not be the same hunt, and they likely won't be in the same hunt area (if you shoot a "legal" aka small buck in a trophy area-waste a tag- you should be pummeled).

There are some areas that are very easy to get tags for. There are some areas that you may wait your entire lifetime to get a tag for (and still not get a tag).

Guess which ones have the "trophy" animals in them?

The hunt success report is your new Bible:

Your New Bible

The 2 most important stats in these reports is the % chance of being drawn, and the % chance of success. Let this report be your guide when it comes time to submit your application. Also, sign up and take a hunter safety class now, so you have it out of the way well before application deadlines next year.

I knew *many* guys that only put in for "Kiabab" every year. And they sat home for decades because they couldn't even get a tag. Screw that, I wanted to hunt. Use the hunt report, get a tag, go hunting. Once you get the tag, then research your new hunt area.

Born and raised in rural AZ, hunted big game there for 40+ years, before moving out of state.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
^^^^
What he said!

Been hunting AZ since 1961. Other than the NW part around Kingman and the Navajo Res, not much of the rest of the state I've missed in that time, including the Hulapai, San Carlos and White Mt. reservations. If you want to talk, call me. I'm in the book.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seeing new country is the main reason I hunt it seems as of late. I find areas/species that fit my schedule for hunting, I'm an elementary school teacher, then I go. I don't always get an animal, but I am almost always successful in having a great experience.

I find, like others, that contacting local game wardens is a great place to start.

Find a place you want to explore, research for a season and licenses that work, and go.

You are a lucky, have fun in your pursuit.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote