THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What is your weapon of choice for house flys?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your weapon of choice for house flys?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted
I know it's not "big game" but this might give me something to do this summer.

http://bugasalt.com/

Anybody ever use one of these? I'm ordering one today

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
1. If you're fast enough, you move your hand behind them and make a grab and catch them. Then you throw them hard into a hard object and then step on them. You can also put a little detergent into a toilet bowl and throw them in their.

2. If you prefer a little more gore, take a large rubber band and cut it so you have a long straight piece of rubber. Then use it to snap them.

3. An electric fly swatter works pretty well.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rubber band gun in the house or just a good old fly swatter.

Out side on the target anyone of my varmint rifles. Kind of neat to wings around the bullet hole.

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got the flyswatters, rubber band guns and have caught them with my hands but that bug a salt gun looks fun and different.

Did y'all see the video where he tested the salt spray pattern against aluminum foil? I think I would start with flies and Mosquitos and then graduate to dangerous game like wasps and yellow jackets. I cannot imagine the adrenaline rush of standing there and facing the charge of a wasp. I think if I wing a wasp I could follow him up and provoke a charge and then could video the action and sell it! So many possibilities for naming the videos

Yellow and Black Death

Death by the Quarter Ounce

In the Face of Getting Stung

Stung

Death by Allergy

Anaphylactic Death

Wings of Death

Basically, these flying insects could choose the way they want to die

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
I know it's not "big game" but this might give me something to do this summer.

http://bugasalt.com/

Anybody ever use one of these? I'm ordering one today

I bought a dozen of these and gave them for Christmas presents. They were well received and are great fun. I'm looking forward to defending our picnics from all the dangerous flies this summer. (BTW, box elder bugs and lady bugs seem to be wearing armor and require more than one shot!) You can also use them to salt your mashed potatoes.

beer

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn you Drummond! I've got to get one of those.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:

Dont buy yet! If we buy 2 we get a break. I'll order em and have them delivered to my place

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:

Dont buy yet! If we buy 2 we get a break. I'll order em and have them delivered to my place

Sounds good! We can whack 'em and stack 'em when you come up for the pig roast!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Man, that looks like fun!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a spitball in an old daisy air pistol was my weapon of choice, that is until the wifes lampshades got in the way. chit - it had to go the way of the benelli, #4 buckshot, crat, and the weber grille

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck
I shot a lot of flys off the walls of
the milking shed with my BB gun.
After I'd run out of spiders and sparrows...

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's awesome, just wait until some kid gets expelled for taking one to school. Smiler

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did y'all see the video where he tested the salt spray pattern against aluminum foil? I think I would start with flies and Mosquitos and then graduate to dangerous game like wasps and yellow jackets. I cannot imagine the adrenaline rush of standing there and facing the charge of a wasp. I think if I wing a wasp I could follow him up and provoke a charge and then could video the action and sell it! So many possibilities for naming the videos

WARNING: I have some experience at this and I'm here to tell you that no matter how good of marksman you and your group are, and no matter how good of a skirmish line you maintain....some will get through!

Another member of this Forum (who I will not name as the Statute of Limitation on this issue isn't real clear) initiated me into their gang of bug shooters. These guys were hard core and went after dragonflies using smoothbore .22's and birdshot cartridges. When dragonflies action slows up we'd entertain ourselves with grasshoppers and then targets of opportunity (wasps).

Doesn't take much to piss wasps off and then you better have 'withdraw to cover' plan in place especially if their back-up starts arriving. (Bonus points if you can remember to evacuate the cooler with you when you withdraw).

I know you want to live on the edge but do not, under any circumstances, mess with hornets! If one of your pals gets a 12 gauge and points towards a hornet nest in the tree and says anything like 'Hey guys..watch THIS!' or 'Get ready!'...leave the area immediately and find the truck. Leave the cooler!

Posts: 3281 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Not sure about house flys, but I killed several cockroaches in my rental on my first day of occupancy in Flour Bluff, TX (just South of Corpus Christi) until my landlord agreed to have his "roach free" unit exterminated. He was on the phone while I was shooting (I did tell him to take his ear away from the phone)...

I had more of a temper back then ...

dancing

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4780 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
The Bugasalt holds 50 shots. After July 1st. will it be illegal in Colorado?

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
A Fly Swatter !!!!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigasanelk:
The Bugasalt holds 50 shots. After July 1st. will it be illegal in Colorado?

Probably not.It holds 50 shots.New York,New Jersey and California are screwed also. shame

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I catch them and then crush them...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
Drummond,
Have you placed your order yet? I will take 2!

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vemo:
Drummond,
Have you placed your order yet? I will take 2!

I have not! Where are you located? I'll put you down for two and I'm sure I can find 2 more guys that want one so I'll order 6 this afternoon.

One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
I am in centennial, near the cherry creek reservoir. Leaving town for awhile, be back on the 16th.

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vemo:
I am in centennial, near the cherry creek reservoir. Leaving town for awhile, be back on the 16th.

No shipping! Perfect! I ordered 6 today so I'll let you know when they come in so we can meet up

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
My personal weapon of choice most commonly ends up as a rolled up towel. It's definitely more of a challenge!

Still, the most enjoyable means of dispatching them is watching my dog do it. She's relentless!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote