New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta Leaving Maryland
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
An interesting development, Beretta is relocating from the state of Maryland because of the passage of harsh anti-gun laws:

Beretta Leaves Maryland Because of Stricter Gun Laws

New legislation is forcing gun manufacturing company Beretta to uproot and take their business elsewhere.

Established in 1526, Beretta holds the distinction of being the oldest active firearms manufacturer in the world. The U.S. factory is located in Accokeek, Maryland, and has been a staple of the local economy for years.

Beretta warned that stricter gun control laws would push the company outside of state lines, but that didn’t stop Maryland legislators. Jeffrey Reh, a spokesman for Beretta who also serves as the President of Stoeger Industries under Beretta, announced that the company would begrudgingly uproot and take its business elsewhere. He said, “We don’t want to do this, we’re not willing to do this, but obviously this legislation has caused us a serious level of concern within our company.”

He added that Beretta paid approximately $31 million in taxes, employs 400 people, and had invested $73 million in the business over the past several decades. Despite being such a prominent player in the local economy, Beretta was unable to prevent legislators from passing tighter gun control laws. Ironically, Beretta manufactures some firearms that are now banned in Maryland.

Republican state Delegate Anthony J. O’Donnell lamented: “Losing [Beretta] would be a big disappointment. Maryland has a reputation for having a horrible business climate, and this would be one more nail in the coffin.”

Legislators had ample warning. Back in the ‘90s, when Maryland beefed up gun control laws, Beretta moved one of its warehouses a short drive away to Virginia.

Beretta’s bold move is regrettable but understandable. Reh told reporters, “Why expand in a place where the people who built the gun couldn’t buy it?”

All of Beretta’s pleas fell on deaf ears. Even as Reh lamented Beretta’s looming departure and emphasized the company’s centrality in the local economy during the hearing, Maryland legislators grilled Reh on self-defense.

One legislator stated: “Other than target shooting, the only other reason [for a semi-automic firearm] would be for self-defense… [Why would you need a] rifle that accommodates 20 rounds semi-automatic for deer hunting? … It’s only very infrequently that someone commits a crime with an assault weapon – why do you need one for self-defense?”

My hat's off to Beretta!!!

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
They are welcome to come to Wyoming.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, Connecticut & Maryland!! Take a hike!!
Good for Beretta too.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has always baffled me why so many firearms makers remain in states that are so obviously hostile to their products and the only reason they are tolerated is for the jobs they create and the taxes they pay. There are many firearms friendly states where taxes are much lower where they would be welcomed. They should take a good look at Missouri, for example. Anyway, they should all follow Beretta's example and relocate to someplace where they are appreciated.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scojac:
It has always baffled me why so many firearms makers remain in states that are so obviously hostile to their products and the only reason they are tolerated is for the jobs they create and the taxes they pay. There are many firearms friendly states where taxes are much lower where they would be welcomed. They should take a good look at Missouri, for example. Anyway, they should all follow Beretta's example and relocate to someplace where they are appreciated.

I'll second that. Come to Missouri. tu2

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Colt is looking to Go, and Mossberg is going to as well they don't care a wit here. There was wide spread opposition to it but they did what they did here is CT anyway. The Newtown thing was just the excuse to do so. I am in the process of leaving myself. No matter were I was I considered CT home. Well Its time for me to find another place.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hats off to Beretta. Nice to see a company take a stand.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like I will NEED a new Beretta pistol when they get set up in a friendly state.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Good for them! I know they won't be coming to California but I'm working on Mrs Blacktailer to get out of here anyway.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Glad to see Beretta doing what it takes. It sucks it has to come to this, but they had little choice. It's a shame legislators pass gun laws that don't actually do anything at the expense of the greater/future benefit of the community.

Now then, we've got plenty of empty space up here in SE PA... Big Grin

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colt is headed to Texas.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I think Tennessee would welcome the businesses and provide a decent business climate.

400 jobs lost will affect a number of support jobs far in excess of the 400 Beretta jobs

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got to love our Governor Martin O'Mally (Owe' Money we call him). Just remember his name when he runs for President and/or Vice President in the future. PLEASE.

He'll just add another tax hike to make up the lost difference. That is how this idiot rolls.

Come to Maryland criminals. Martin Owe' Money recently did away with the death penalty and now he is disarming the citizens.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas would take 'em also.

This is voting with your wallet, how do you hurt a liberal? Don't give 'em your money to purchase votes with!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Now that IS a sig. line! tu2

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Good for Beretta !

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would love to have them in Texas!!!

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good for them. I hope Beretta and Colt also stop selling to those states and the US government.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We would welcome them here in Idaho.

If I were a firearms manufacturer/distributor I would cease sales and service to any of the anti-gun states immediately.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
Good for them. I hope Beretta and Colt also stop selling to those states and the US government.

Now that, right there would hit them good. Seems as I recall that sometime in the dim, dark past, a firearms company did that and the politcos (whores in political office to us on the board) changed their tune. Maybe some of you guys can fill me in on the circumstances.
One final comment - to paraphrase Ben Franklin - "We'll all hang together or we'll all hang separately". We may not agree on the finer points but we'd damn well better hang together as long as "Big Fat Zero" is in office.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They would be most welcome in Texas.

Our Gov. Rick Perry has made it very plain, that gun and firearms related companies are most welcome in Texas.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The M-9 by Beretta has been the standard issue sidearm to the U.S. military for years. That means big governement contracts on a consistent basis. Pretty foolish for a state to take actions that chase away a business like that.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are they actually moving? When I google it all I find is chat room speculation.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that they and all the gun companies.

Like magpul should stay in the anti gun states and surrport the firearm owners that live.

Moving just gives the anti's a victory.

They should just stay there pay lots in taxes and surport the progun people that live there.

Leaving just leaves the progunners out in the cold.

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a good Anti plan. Spread out pro second amendment supporters in various blue states so that we can't control any states. Where would we be without those approximately 1 million pro gun Californian voters who stay in California and go down to overwhelming defeat on each and every election. It reminds me of Einstein's definition of insanity. We just might be skrewed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Navaluk you should read the threads about Colorado here.

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beretta is even screwing over Cuomo as the new NANO holds EIGHT rounds. LMAO !
(comes with an extra 10 rounder)