Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Long Actions?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
I tried this in the gunsmithing area without any positive replies, so i thought i would try it hear. I have a H.S. Precision remington 700 long action varmint contour stock that i want to build on , and wanted to know where does one go to purchas NEW remington actions. I also wanted to know if the long action used for the 30/06 is the same used for the 300 and 338 RUM';s or are they magnum actions. My 700 30/06 fits this stock like a glove but i put that rifle into a nice walnut stock and wanted to build a new rifle on this synthetic stock i am just not sure of the caliber yet.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
What you really need is a 25-06.

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The bottom metal on the Ultra Mags is slightly different in that it has some cutouts in strategic placess. Or the early ones did, anyway.
Not sure how important that is to feeding.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ultramag actions are the same length as the action used for the 30-06.The differences are:
bolt face size
feed rails
magazine insert
magazine follower

The bolt face and feed rails can be modified to suit the ultramags and the correct magazine insert and follower are easily purchased.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last I checked, Brownell's only had short actions.

Like everyone else that tries this, just go to your favorite store, buy a new rifle, and tear it apart. Buy it in a caliber you like & swap stocks, or buy any caliber, take the barrel off, rebarrel in the caliber of your choice, drop it in your stock, and viola. You can do it cheaper than searching out a new action. (A guy in TN was selling barrelled actions for something like $450. You can just pick up a complete rifle & be done with it.)

Better yet, find a Sendero still on somebody's shelf in a caliber you like & buy that.
(That's where your HS stock came from...)

one of us
posted Hide Post
What Stubblejumper said!
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
I probibly should not have asked about the magnum calibers as they have nothing to do with this project. I am probibly going to send the stock and action out to shilen to fit a new varmint contour barrel in maybe 25/06 . To spend $450.00 on a rifle for the action doesn't make much sence to me if i can buy a new action for $250.00-$300.00. I will check brownells but does anybody know of anyone else that may sell rem. long actions?

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys i was wrong. I was way off i thought brownells sold the short action for $250- so i figured how much more could a long action be , i just went to there web site and they are selling the short action new for $400.00. Got to think about this one . Thanks Tanoose

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
No one else sells them but Brownell's. You got there before I could warn you...they're pretty darned proud of those new actions. There is almost no way to wear out the action in a normal hunting gun; why are you specifying new?
A used 700 BDL runs $325-$375 depending on caliber/condition and you can normally get back $30-$50 for the un-needed parts on eBay if you sell all but the action. Guns are like hotrods
and boats; no way to come out ahead if you buy new parts and pay someone to put them together. Buy someone else's toy for 1/2 the money they have in it.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tanoose:
To spend $450.00 on a rifle for the action doesn't make much sence to me if i can buy a new action for $250.00-$300.00.

If you could pick up new M700 actions for $250, we would have ALL been doing it...

Believe me, this has come up before. There's no way to "beat the system" here. If you absolutely must have a *new* action, just bite the bullet, go buy a new rifle, and tear it apart.

Otherwise, do as the rest of us do. Keep your eye out for a good deal on a used rifle & go from there.

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
BTW I would much rather have an older remington 700 action than a new one. I think the new ones are rough and not nearly as well put together. I would go to the pawn shop and find a used pre mid 80"s remington in 270 or 30-06 hand the guy 325-350 head off into the sunset, sell off the stock and take off barrel and viola you have your action.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a NEW ADL Magnum (7mmRem) is $398
at walmart and that'll leave you with a takeoff barrel and a plastic stock to sell off on ebay to cover part of the cost of buying a BDL triggerguard and floorplate.

The magazine "box", follower and spring are the same
ADL to BDL.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.rwhart.com/ is a Remington dealer and sells just actions.

sales@rwhart.com e-mail addy

570-752-3655 tech line 8 to 5 EDT daily

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
Go for the used pawn shop gun idea. The new actions have that stupid, HCI friendly, locking system. I aslo think the older actions have a better fit and finish.

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote