New
Find
Notify
Tools

.260 improved
 Login/Join

<waldog>
posted
I have a Rem SA that needs to be rebarreled. I've finally settled on the 6.5 bore. I could chamber for 6.5-284 or 6.5x55 but would have to seat the bullets so deep. So for the ease of conversion (no other modifications necessarry) I settled on the .260.

Now my question is has anyone tried the Ackley improved version of this cartridge?

I'm thinking with a 26" barrel it could certainly be the ticket.

Anyhow, penny for your thoughts....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, two thoughts. With a little work, you can make that SA Remington fee up to a 3.1" col. This would put the 6.5-284, 6.5 x 55, and 6.5 x 55 improved back in the running. Second thought, Layne simpson did a bunch of write ups about the 260 improved. I believe he called it the 260 American. Ballistically the equal of the 6.5 x 55. Which is a great cartridge. So you still have to decide which way to go. Sorry about that, but hope the info helped. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
No appology necessary, Dan. That's the kind of constructive feedback I'm looking for. Just out of curiosity, what gunsmithing is required to free up the space to 3.1"? I didn't know that could be done, but if so, this whole thing is a bit more interesting!

thanx

<Rogue 6>
posted
I'm having a 24" Shilen put on a SA mdl 77 right now in 260 imp with a 40* shoulder. I'm not expecting a wonder round, but it should be about the cats meow for deer with a 125 gr partition. I'm hoping for high 2900's to a little over 3000 fps, which seems reasonable.

The rifle is also getting a new trigger and recoil pad, being rebedded and the bolt blue printed and trued. It'll be done in another week or two. If the Steelhead were not running I'd be going insane.

<Slamfire>
posted
I read Simpson's article on the 6.5 American, and don't see enough advantage over the .260 to make me want to go to all the trouble. Pretty much the same for the 6.5 Redding. The powder capacity is about 5% greater, meaning the velocity won't be much more'n 1% faster. Then you have to hunt up a reamer, dies, form cases, and all for a 1% gain? Not me thanks.

<Kimmo E>
posted
In Sweden we have 139gr bullet with an energy of 2000j at 110y as limit for moose hunting, that means you must have a 22-23i barrel for 6,5*55 and 260.If you choose a short action you want a short barrel, maybee 260imp. is the solution.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Waldog, basically you have to open the rear of the action up a little and modify your magazine box and bolt stop, ie; cut and file. The front of the magazine box can be replaced with sheet metal of the right thickness and tig welded into place. You shouldn't need much on a 700, I've done it to a couple 600's and 788's and they are more work. Of course, once you've opened up that much room, a 6.5-WSM just seems to cry out, doesn't it? Take care - Dan

<waldog>
posted
6.5wsm?! Contrary to what you may think, when you give me ideas like that you are *NOT* being helpful!!!!!!!

On a side note, it appears to me that a 6.5x57 would fit into a short action, and better the .260AI.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Or even more interesting, the 6.5 x 57 AI. - Dan

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
dan belisle -

Do you do the type of work you mention? How many $$ would I get tied up turning a .260 Rem 700 into a 6.5x57AI?

R-WEST

------------------
"it is up to God to judge these terrorists; it is up to us to arrange their meeting" Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No I'm not a gunsmith. I do some work on my own stuff, and some friends'. I have access to a lot of machine tools and have that type of background. I really just started doing this because waiting for the local 'smiths was driving me nuts. I don't know what it would cost in PA, but around here rechambering and opening up the action and mag box would probably set you back $200-300 Cdn. That's about $150-200 US. A lot would depend on whether the guy you went to had the reamer already, though. If he has to buy or rent the reamer, the price will go up. Sorry. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waldog:

On a side note, it appears to me that a 6.5x57 would fit into a short action, and better the .260AI.

Hmmm, the 6.5x57 does not in any PUBLISHED load data that I have seen exceed the 6.5x55 in anything except the number of times the cases have to be trimmed and the size of the groups (ie more and bigger). I may not have seen absolutely all the data and whilst there is absolutely nothing wrong with the round there would be no reason that stood the cold light of day to chamber it over a 6.5x55 unless one has an irrational urge to do so.

3.1inches is not huge for a 6.5x55 and tight for a 6.5x57. The COL of a 120gr ballistic tip or 140gr flat base seated to the base of the x55 neck is about 3.025"

Anyhow they're all fantastic rounds so good luck.

[This message has been edited by 1894 (edited 01-25-2002).]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<PrimeTime>
posted
I had a standard 260 with a 26 inch barrel and shot 120 grain ballistic tips at 3,025 with 41 grains of IMR4064. It's agreat round. Never tried the improved version.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing a 6.5 x 57 will give you over a 6.5 x 55 is 2 mm of case length and a different shape. The improved version does give you a little more boiler room. The 6.5 x 55 however has a larger diameter case so an improved version of this would be even larger. I'm not sure if the case capacity of the 6.5 x 55 AI would be more than the 6.5 Rem Mag (which in a long enough action is essentially equal to a 6.5 -06 AI). In any case, they're all about building something a little different and a lot of fun. FWIW. - Dan