New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whitetail movement in winter?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys, I'm halfway through muzzleloader season here in Mass. He have had some good snow falls and tomorrow should be about 32 degrees.

I'm looking for a few cold weather late season tips. In the early season with the bow I use a tree stand but it is just to darn cold to sit very long in the winter. I have had some decent luck tracking in the snow and have a decent idea where the deer are via their tracks.

What techniques do you use in the cold?

I'm use to deer moving only at first light and last light in the earlier seasons, I have been told they move all day now, is this true?

I have also been told to head to the higher ground. I'm not sure if this tip is based on earlier shotgun season pressure or a time of year thing.

Thanks

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They tend to move all day and be in bigger groups. In Mo., I'd look for some crops that are still in the field, don't know about Md.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another good option is if you have any oaks,find them because the deer will be digging for the acorns.

Posts: 560 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote