Find
Notify
Tools

check out this "elk"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of wino
posted
Wow, I had to read this one twice.http://www.billingsgazette.net...ews/state/20-elk.txt homer

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a shame that he didn't know better! Hopefully the tree huggers don't use this as ammo to show the ignorance of some.

He is lucky that it was a feral llama and not a guard llama. He could have had to explain that to a rancher.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MThuntr:

He is lucky that it was a feral llama and not a guard llama. He could have had to explain that to a rancher.

You got that right, surely would would of been prize breeding stock. Reminds me of a time a buddy of mine ran off the road near Joliet, rancher said he wrecked the finest fence in Carbon County. Never heard what the insurance company paid the old boy. I didn't even know anyone rated fences. bewildered

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He should be forever banned from hunting ! thumbdown

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
First: Where are you going to get a 30-06 with a Leupold Scope for $650
Second: GUTTED!? He actually gutted the thing before he realized his mistake?

Wow
the guy probably lives near me... now that's spooky

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
So, did he keep hunting and use his elk tag on a real elk?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:

Wal-Mart, or at least the Wal-Marts in Colorado that still sell rifles.

Stevens 200 .30-06 $299
Leupold Rifleman 3-9X40 $199
Weaver Bases $8
Weaver Rings $15
+tax

Total Roughly $550

Yes, this guy made a mistake but at least he owned up to it. Going to catch hell the rest of his life from his buddies. Just wonder if he is going to eat it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
So, did he keep hunting and use his elk tag on a real elk?

No, he punched his tag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, what a tool. Strange but every few years it seems that we have something "odd" happen around here with idiots in association with elk. Now, these are not always out of state hunters. Had a friend shoot a cow moose, thought it was a elk, but he was 14 at the time so I'll cut him some slack. Anyway the elk gods punished him, he didn't get a bull elk for over twenty years despite some reasonable effort.

My all time favorite though is the Alpine Springs elk "hunt". If you drive from Bozeman to Livingston along the frontage road just over the pass in Park County there is a ranch called Alpine Springs. Used to be a full bore game farm with elk etc, now its just got some buffalo. Anyway, seems a couple of guys fresh off the plane from where ever rent a car and set off to hunt elk in the Paradise Valley. You guessed it they drive by Alpine Springs and wow what luck! Out of the car and using the game fence for rifle rests they drop two fantastic 6x6 bulls! FWP and the county mounty show up while they are gutting and gloating and generally ruin the whole day for them. I had the local paper for several years with pictures. Since at the time they were "live stock" they got to keep their "trophies" but along with some weapons discharge and trespassing fines and a really big check for the game farm owner I doubt it was exactly what they had in mind.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does B&C have a category for trophy llamas? Big Grin

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than being also being from NY sofa

Ive seen a goat strapped to the roof of a car here.Some NY City folk (about 2hrs south of me) thought it was a fine trophy.

Where I hunt someone shot a Morgan draft horse with a 30-06.I paint "COW" with florescent marker on the sides of my calf's as I have State land next to my property,and had a guy shoot his 12ga. at one of my animals and miss. Eeker

Dan

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:

Wal-Mart, or at least the Wal-Marts in Colorado that still sell rifles.

Stevens 200 .30-06 $299
Leupold Rifleman 3-9X40 $199
Weaver Bases $8
Weaver Rings $15
+tax

Total Roughly $550

Yes, this guy made a mistake but at least he owned up to it. Going to catch hell the rest of his life from his buddies. Just wonder if he is going to eat it?

You are correct... I was thinking Kimber and a VX-IV.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was it a typical, or a non typical LLama?

This is reminiscent of the stories you hear about the Guy from the catskills driving back to New York city, getting stopped at rhe toll booth on the thruway with the irish setter tied down to his car. Although there appears to be much more documentation in the case of the Llama/Elk.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what it tasted like?

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they were related?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never mistaken a llama for an elk but I did see one mostly white cow elk which, at first glance, I thought was an escaped llama! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3586 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TASTES ZACKLY LIKE CHICKEN !!!! Eeker

Hip

Posts: 1866 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tuffteddyb
posted Hide Post
llama sausage is quite tasty!
llama steak is almost as good as beef!
yummers

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
You have feral llamas in the States ????
What animal do you DON'T have there ??? Eeker

Axis, bears, audad, pigs, elks, nilgais, white tails, black tails, black bucks, antelopes, mule deer, moose, javelina, wolfs, several sheeps, goats, aligators, cougars, bison, etc, etc, etc

Do you realize how LUCKY you are ????

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of a feral lama in Montana untill reading this.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote