New
Find
Notify
Tools

Management Buck Picture
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I went down to the ranch this weekend to shoot some management deer. Here is a picture of the best one. He is a nine pointer with a 26 inch outside spread.

I used my trusty Blaser in 7mm Mag.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M16:

nice buck. do you know how old he was? Just curious

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
His teeth showed him to be 7.5 years old.

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
In Florida we'd call that a TROPHY!!! Nice buck... eek2

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M16,

In what part of Texas are you located? Is your place high fenced?

Davis Chase

Posts: 186 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My ranch is located between Fowlerton and Los Angeles in LaSalle County. It is currently low fence but I may high fence part of it in the future.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are now having to cull 26 Inch 7.5 year bucks, what do you need a high fence for? That is some of the best deer country in the world. I used to live in SA and went to Cotulla every week in my work. You are in the right place.

Davis Chase

Posts: 186 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would leave it low fence but my neighbors are trying to sell some 500 acre tracts. One bad neighbor can set you back five years by killing too many deer. So I am probably going to high fence one side to keep this from happening. The rest of the neighbors have management programs in place so they won't be a problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was a good kill. At 7.5 he was on the way downhill. Great spread, just not much on the points and mass for that age. Just got back from a great hunt near Eagle Pass, TX where I was allowed to shoot hogs and does. I got to see many trophies including two that were killed by the owners sons. Just watching all the critters and those giant deer was a blast. Never have seen so many ten point bucks. Was able to assist in their management program by taking two doess and one large hog. In that area, I would say a low fence is No Fence! Good luck. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
I would leave it low fence but my neighbors are trying to sell some 500 acre tracts. One bad neighbor can set you back five years by killing too many deer. So I am probably going to high fence one side to keep this from happening. The rest of the neighbors have management programs in place so they won't be a problem.

Rather than fence it, improve your habitat and the deer will stay on your place. It's that simple.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish it were that simple. Evidently you do not realize how far bucks can and do travel during the rut.

one of us
posted Hide Post
a high fence IS one way to improve the habitat. With a fence you can reduce the herd density to within the carrying capacity of the range, improving the habitat (for deer and other wildlife) and improving the condition of the deer.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're not too far from where I grew up (Charlotte)...

Posts: 350 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 30 September 2004Reply With Quote