Find
Notify
Tools

Extra Charges for Gun Cases?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

Anyone seeing oversize charges for gun cases during airlines travel within the US?

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Couple of years ago I had Delta try this in ATL. I asked to see a manager and when she arrived, I asked how many times they charged oversize for golf clubs - no problem.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most domestic airlines seem to have the 62" rule or some variant. If the sum of the three dimensions exceeds 62 you have to pay. Or if it goes over 50lbs And I've had to pay for golf clubs before

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
Most domestic airlines seem to have the 62" rule or some variant. If the sum of the three dimensions exceeds 62 you have to pay. Or if it goes over 50lbs And I've had to pay for golf clubs before

In the past there has been an exception to the 62" rule for sporting equipment.

But that has changed for some airlines. And to make matters worse the rules have gotten very confusing.

You need to know the rules, or you may end up paying fees when you don't need to.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know about the 62" rule ... and almost nothing except a takedown case will get by that one if it is enforced. A Kalispel double rifle case certainly doesn't make it. These fees are getting significant ... $175 to $200 each way.

USAir exempts golf clubs and some other sporting items but not gun cases.

That was the reason I asked the question guys ... are the airlines enforcing the rule?

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Southwest let me slide on a rod case. I see a takedown rifle in my future.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
Southwest let me slide on a rod case. I see a takedown rifle in my future.

Hunted with a fellow who had a case made to hold his barreled action separate from the stock. When he got to camp he simply reassembled the rifle and zeroed. Maybe we will all come to this.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done that already. My upholsterer made the case. The case will fit in the bottom of my big Cabela's wheeled duffle. No problems so far, but you may need to shorten the barrel for some cases. I still think I might prefer a takedown, just haven't found the one I want yet. Weight starts to be a factor with the big case.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
I know about the 62" rule ... and almost nothing except a takedown case will get by that one if it is enforced. A Kalispel double rifle case certainly doesn't make it. These fees are getting significant ... $175 to $200 each way.

USAir exempts golf clubs and some other sporting items but not gun cases.

That was the reason I asked the question guys ... are the airlines enforcing the rule?

I fly very frequently with Alaska Air - they have never charged me or any of my friends.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doug Pisano
posted Hide Post
Glad I read this. Heading to TX on Continental for nilgai in a couple weeks. My guncase measures 52x14x4 = 70"....seems the trip just went up $200.

drdougrx

Please enjoy my hunting photos if you wish!
http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx/

Posts: 84 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Be sure to call Continental first and get straight scoop.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I fly an average of 3 trips a year with firearms and have never been charged for a gun case. But then again, I'm Platinum on Delta and they might be letting me slide with my status.

I flew last year one trip to Texas from Colorado on American Airlines and wasn't charged either.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote