Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet choice for black bears 33wcf
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of garretttodd
posted
I have a bear hunt in northern Alberta planned for this comming May. The area we are hunting is a two bear area. I am going to bring my bow for one but I also was considering bringing an antique rifle. The rifle is a 1886 .33wcf it was my great grandfathers made in 1913. I think it would be a great honor to take a large animal with a gun that is almost a hundred years old. I have been practiceing with open sites for about three months. The gun is pretty accurate with 1.25 inch groups at 50yds (which is about the average range where i will be hunting). The bullet that i have been using is a soft point jacketed 200gr. The loads are from when cabelas carried obsolete ammo. I have found several people that carry the cartrige but before I put in an order I was going to see if anyone knows of a better source. I was going to order my ammo from Gads Custom. Thanks for the input.

Those who pound their swords into plowshares will be plowing for those of us who don't

Posts: 64 | Location: Fort worth, Texas | Registered: 10 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Post on the reloading section too!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
The now canceled 200 grain Hornady FP may serve you well.

Best would be a fine cast bullet of 200-250 grains if the rifle will shot them.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have him load the Hawk 200gr bullet.

www.hawkbullets.com

They are great killers.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote