Notify
Tools

Daughter's First Deer!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted

Hey Everyone:

My daughter killed her first deer ever last evening. She is 12 years and it was her first time ever hunting deer. In Pennsylvania, the junior hunters get three days in October to hunt antlerless deer with a rifle. We made plans to go hunting as soon as she got home from school. We went to one area and found no recent sign of deer activity. So, we drove to another area. We were walking along a steep, thick, hillside when we jumped a deep below us. It ran (slowly) away from us, parllel with the ridge. We were standing there deciding what to do when I noticed a deer behind us, almost walking the same path we did.

I got Kaitlyn turned around and she saw the deer. We moved slightly to get next to a small tree. There were two young deer about 70 yards away. There was a decent opening to the deer and I asked her if she had a clear shot. She said that she did, so I told her to squeeze a shot. She missed. The deer did not know where the shot came from. After about a minute, they went back to feeding. Kaitlyn was upset that she missed.

I tried to calm her down and tell her it was O.K. to miss and that she would get another shot. After a few minutes, the deer moved a little closer and she had a clear shot. I was behind her talking to her, telling her "crosshairs on the shoulder...squeeze" She yanked the trigger and flinched badly. I was supporting her from behind and trying to steady her. After the shot, she was shaking very badly. Buck Fever had set in, along with the sadness of missing the deer again. We were standing on the side of a steep hill and were not on good footing. She was crying. I told her to kneel down and wait for a minute.

The deer had jumped about five yards after her second shot, but did not spook. They resumed feeding again. After another few minutes, one of the deer began quartering toward us on the upslope side. I got Kaitlyn into position with a much better rest at the side of the tree and tried to steady her as she prepared for the shot. The deer presented several shot opportunities, but I told her to wait until the shot was perfect. The deer emerged into a small clearing, stopped, and looked right at us. Fortunately, she was locked on to the deer. I told her to take the shot when she was ready.

At the shot I saw that the deer's left, front leg was dragging. As it turned and ran back the direction from which it came, I saw blood on the side of the deer's chest. I knew it was a good shot. The deer ran about 10 -15 yards and was down for good.

My daughter, who remained fairly calm during the third shot, was VERY excited as we came to the deer for photos and field-dressing. She told me that she felt kinda sad. I told her good, and that feeling a little sad was O.K.

I had a disposable camera with us, but the flash did not work and the light was fading fast, so I do not know how many good field pictures we will get. The above pictures were taken at the house, not exactly the best setting, but at least we will have those if the field photos are no good.

I am proud of my daughter, who battled through some tough moments and came through with a good shot at the end. Maybe we should have waited on the first shots, but she was doing well during practice at that range. As you know, sometimes the presence of an animal changes things. I think the next time will be a little easier for her. She can't wait, and neither can I.

By the way, the rifle was a Remington Model 7 in .260 Rem, shooting 120 grain Nosler BT.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Kaitlyn! And to you as a father. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Excellent - I love those kid photos.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Fantastic, that's a memory that both of you will share forever. Lucky you.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you and your daughter...fantastic.

MG

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Nicely done Kaitlyn! Your Dad's right, its OK to be a little sad, after all you took responsibilty for that animals life. And that is good. Its so much better to carry that responsibility yourself and KNOW where your meal comes from; rather than rely on anonimous source at the meat counter. It sounds like your Dad is teaching you proper respect for the game animals you will undoubtably hunt in the future. Nicly done indeed; to both of you.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
Congradulations Kaitlyn! I can't say it any better than Rusty Marlin has already! Best of luck to you and your Dad on all of your hunts in the future.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
congrats to your daughter and to you dad for being a dad and beibg patient with her

Posts: 23 | Location: Logan N.M. | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Way to go Kaitlyn!! thumb

Hey - Nice hat!! Big Grin

R-WEST

Load smart. Load safe. Triple check everything. Never use load data from the 'net without checking against known, pressure tested load data. Typo's happen!!

"the spotlight of truth will cause the cockroaches of deceit to run for cover every time" Rush Limbaugh

"just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't following you"

"never turn on a blow dryer while holding a cat"

"genius has limits, stupidity does not"

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you both -- I know that you are proud of her.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
clap clap

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a memory that will last a lifetime for you and your daughter. Let Kaitlyn know that even adults get buck fever.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats and also, nice choice of caliber and load..... I shoot a 260 Rem, but in a Ruger, with the Nosler 120 grain ballistic tip....

So far this season, your daughter has had better luck that I have had.....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If she never hunts deer again, I say more power to her. If she turns into an avid hunter, that's great too. The only thing that matters is that she feels good about what she's done, and the way forward; no outside pressure.

She was old enough to know the results of her action. Mixed emotions isn't necessarily a bad thing when it comes to starting a hunting career.

The stories that make me nervous are the ones where a four or five-year-old kills their first deer. That parent-child dynamic spooks me. I always wonder about the parent.

Personally, I didn't have mixed emotions on my first deer. That came later on my third, fourth or fifth. Since we hunted mule deer in New Mexico it was alway walk-n-stalk. You were on your own. It would be your choice. I remember hunting a few years, hunting hard, hoping in a way that I wouldn't have a buck jump-up, because I knew I was a hunter, and the result would be automatic. I wouldn't hold fire, and I wouldn't shoot to miss. I found it weird to have those strong, contrary, emotions. I think part of the issue was my best friend decided he didn't want to hunt deer any more. We made differrent choices. I'm sure he is not a hunter now. I'm sure I am.

My congratulations go cwilson. Nice job of introducing your daughter to hunting.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cwilson, thanks for sharing the story.

Congratulaions Kaitlyn!

You know, having emotions for the game animals you take, managing them and making good decisions as they drive your adrenaline up, and reflecting on the moral issues of hunting are all part of being an honorable hunter in my mind. I think it's great you are getting to share this with your daughter.

Good luck with ya'lls future hunting adventures!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Kaitlyn, way to go!! dancing

I will say this, I get more of a kick out of seeing kids with their trophies than us big guys.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
You go girl...congrats...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Super! thumb

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind replies.

Hunting with kids sure gives a different perspective and I recommend it to everyone. Take a kid hunting!! Kaitlyn's deer was the first animal that she ever had shot at, but we had several exciting, but "unsuccessful" hunts in the spring for turkeys. We had a lot of close encounters and a couple of gobblers used up all of their luck with us. (Maybe we can find them this fall) All summer long, she talked about the spring turkey hunts and hearing literally hundreds of gobbles and having turkey close many times. I asked her yesterday about her favorite hunt to date, and she said that the gobbler that flew off the roost and landed within 10 yards of us (but escaped without her being able to get a shot off) was her faviorite, and most exciting hunt.

As has been said here many times, the taking of an animal is not required to have a great hunt or to create a life long memeory. I am thankful that she has chosen to hunt. Her older sister does not hunt. Her younger brother is chomping at the bit and her younger sister is a solid "maybe".

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to her and yourself.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go!!!When my daughter was around 12 yrs old,she wanted to start hunting.I thought "great".I really wanted her to shoot a deer.She wanted to start with squirrels,so we went squirrel hunting.She liked it for two years then told me she didnt want to hunt anymore.She never had the desire to shoot a deer.I was disappointed but supported her decission.I never pressured her but told her if she ever wanted to go again I would do so.She never did.

Last week,my girlfriend,"who has never hunted before"shot her first deer in the early muzzleloader season.It was really cool being there with her and watching the whole scene.She had to take her time to get a clear shot.The instant the doe stepped into an opening my girlfriend squeezed the trigger and made a perfect behind the shoulder shot.I dont know which one of us is more proud.She definitely wants to shoot another one.

Posts: 66 | Location: manchester md | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A tinge of sadness shows respect for life. A good start.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alright, Kaitlyn! Where were you guys hunting? If it's in WMU 2A, I might need some help finding some deer to hunt there! Razzer

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustinL01:
Alright, Kaitlyn! Where were you guys hunting? If it's in WMU 2A, I might need some help finding some deer to hunt there! Razzer

JustinL01: We were hunting in WMU 2C, near our home. We do not have a surplus of deer here either. The last 3 or 4 years have really reduced the numbers.

cwilson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the great memories you created. Great choice of rifle and caliber for a young shooter.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

Great choice for a caliber.

I started my daughter at 12 with a 7x57 and reloads. She has gotten better every year. I did have her hunt in the house with an empty gun working the bolt and dry firing the the gun at pictures on the wall. This "real" practice helped my daughter feel good about gun handling. Practice crawling and taking off the safety as well. I did send the family shopping while we used the house for our hunting practice.

Here is a shot of my daughter last years antelope harvest. Her dropped the first one at 200 yds and the second with a lung shot at 360 yds (lasered). I knocked the next two down at 200 & 260 yds. Four antelopes with four shots and we were feeling great.

We kept two and donated two to the local food bank.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote