New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poached Elk Calf
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Saw another thread on poaching and thought I would post this. I was hunting up on some public land up in Central Wa this year and came across a dead elk calf. As I came up on it I saw that a rear quarter had been removed. Closer investigation found a bullet hole in its neck. This is in a spike only area of the state.

I took photos and a GPS point and gave them to F&W enforcement but I know that will not do any good. The animal had rigor and was being fed on by ravens so little chance of someone returning to the scene for the rest of it.

First time in my 25+ years of hunting I have come across this and was so disappointing to see. I consider my fellow hunters to be part of a greater family, and to encounter such disregard and waste makes me sick. Makes us all look bad.

I know it's tempting to shoot something when you are hunting, but we are all ambassadors for the sport. Let’s hold to a higher standard! Turn in any poachers you see!

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Rob H wrote:
quote:
I consider my fellow hunters to be part of a greater family, and to encounter such disregard and waste makes me sick. Makes us all look bad.

I applaud your efforts for turning this over to authorities, but I can assure you a HUNTER did not do this.

Please do not ever confuse a hunter with a poacher. The liberal, uniformed media does plenty of this already...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Point

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jovan Blea
posted Hide Post
That is a dam shame. A few years ago I found a dead elk in a little valley. Same thing with the rear 1/4's removed and the head. Bet it was a bull. It had been there 3 weeks + but let the DOW know. They said they would look into it. That means "stop bothering me" in ranger talk. Jovan

Posts: 123 | Location: Denver Colo | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
I hope they catch the bastard. Long drop, short rope. Mad

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like someone needed camp meat.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
You should see how much of a very nice elk I found lying where the cut the head and one front quarter off.

Backstrap and tenderloins ruined also.

If i had a digital I could have turned pics over to CDOW.

Disgusting waste of good elk, but they took th head which saw and only found the carcass 3 days later when I was hunting in the area. It was within 1/2 mile of a road!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Savage_man_300
posted Hide Post
i wish it was something that could be stopped but, doubtfull if many of these swine will ever be punished in a fitting manner. we found a spike with in a maybe 80 yards of a forest service road up above our property this last season, though i believe it to be an accident, as there was no meat taken. however carelessness is no excuse. i would hope that the responsible party does feel guilty i still don't think it's enough.

Striving to be todays Jerimiah Johnson.

Posts: 24 | Location: Santa Rosa Ca. | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote