THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Headed to West Texas for trophy mule deer!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headed to West Texas for trophy mule deer!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Kids!

Received a text last night about a cancellation hunt outside of Alpine, TX.
Leaving MT at 6am tomorrow! Will report upon my return.

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Good Luck! Buddy and I just returned from the panhandle. He got a nice mule deer and I got my first ever whitetail.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer, let’s see some pics….

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Goodluck Skibum! Safe travels and looking forward to the report

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the whitetail Russ.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip. Hunting for mule deer in what we call the Texas Trans-Pecos is a great hunt. Can be hard, and sometimes game sightings are far between, but it is magnificent country.

Any deer can be a trophy to a hunter, but be aware that desert mule deer don't grow as large as your Rocky Mountain variety. They can be impressive, but don't be disappointed if a great mule deer from Texas doesn't match one from Montana.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen some special bucks come out of West Texas.

Posts: 10903 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Blacktailer, let’s see some pics….

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive worked on and leased and owned ranches in Texas and a few south of Alpine. Tx. Know all of the old timers in that area, and a few of the johnny come late Leys. the closer you stay to Aline the better, but far south towards Lajitas there are some nice trophy deer in the high rimrock country.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice 10-pointer, Blacktailer, and with a drop tine to boot! But it looks like somebody put a hole in its ribcage Big Grin Body looks good-sized, too. There can be some good deer in the Panhandle. What was the closest town?

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Near Dalhart.

Have gun- Will travel

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice buck!

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whoops, Id call DAlhart North Texas. Very nice whitetail and looks low fenced, I like that..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty of a whitetail!

Nice job.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's a fine whitetail -- first or last. Cool
Dalhart is XIT country. Great grandfather helped sell parts of it off. I need to see that museum.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16404 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We usually say Dalhart is in the "Panhandle", but it is certainly a part of West Texas as well.

Dalhart (both Dallam and Hartley counties) has not only some nice mule deer and whitetails, but pronghorns, prairie dogs, and pheasants to hunt as well. A few years back they also had a small herd of elk, but I think those all eventually went into poachers' deep freezes. Just try to stay upwind of the feed lots.

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Skibump,
Whatever happened on the mule deer hunt? Some of the less blessed are waiting for details….