New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whitetails elswhere?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do whitetail deer exist naturally anywhere else in the world or are they just a North American deer?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are in NZ as well, but were transplanted here. (Along with Elk)

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Andy
Ask on the South American section of this forum I think their is a whitetail down there. Other than the Americas I don't think they occur anywhere else.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are lots of subspecies, and they range down to the peruvian andes. I have no idea if you can legally hunt them down there though. I'm guessing that most of the countries down there would frown on gun imports (pure speculation).

Andy

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Lots of whitetails running wild in Finland now due to transplanting many years ago.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
StormsGSP,

Where in NZ are they exactly? My brother just moved to New Zealand, and I'm looking into hunting options while he's down there (another reason to go is too much to resist). Would be interested to hear where they're located (he's on the north island).

gd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GD:
StormsGSP,

Where in NZ are they exactly? My brother just moved to New Zealand, and I'm looking into hunting options while he's down there (another reason to go is too much to resist). Would be interested to hear where they're located (he's on the north island).

gd

GD,

Ill send you a PM. In the middle of trying to finish some papers now. killpc

Short answer, whitetail are on the south island and stewart island, the numbers are limited and they are very small. The hunting here is GREAT, but I would totally ignore the whitetail.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote