Find
Notify
Tools

hunting behind high wire
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted
I am sure this topic must have been raised before, I am reasonably new to AR and would like to know other people's thoughts on hunting behind high wire inclosures.I know this can sometimes be controvertial and I am not opposed to others doing so, each to there own, but a 8 point deer in the wild to me is better than a 16 point deer behind high wire, regardless of inclosure size.

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I agree with you, is not the same but don't think the challenge will not be the same (if the fenced area is big enough obviously).

There are animals like hogs for example, which are near impossible to keep inside a fenced area. Hunting in a BIG fenced area is like hunting in a big island, the difference is that the fence in that case will be water but neither of both places will be easy to hunt.

Sometimes fences help to keep away poaching, also the possibility of fencing a given area give the oportunity to farmers to make an extra income from wildlife, and that's a good thing for us, the hunters, maybe it will not be "the same" but at least we have good game populations and the possibility of hunting areas that without fences no one would take care of them.

As I said, for me like you, is not the same, but I think fenced areas have there own space in our sport and in the long term they are good for wildlife and hunters.

Obviously I am not talking about small pens with animals tied from a rope waiting for "clients" Roll Eyes

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
duggaboybuff wrote: "8 point deer in the wild to me is better than a 16 point deer behind high wire, regardless of inclosure size."

That statement is obviously the product of inexperience.

Here in Texas, many of the high-fenced ranches are tens of thousands of acres. To think a deer inside this sized "enclosure" is not as wary as one elsewhere is pure hogwash. Check the operation; check the references -- and you should be OK.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think its right, don't care how high
big the area is.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Killing animals varies all the way from shooting a pin into the brain of a beef in the slaughter house squeeze chute, to climbing to 18,000 feet to shoot a Marco Polo sheep.

Somewhere in the middle, you change from shooting animals to hunting. In my mind, most high fence operations are shooting operations, not hunting operations.

Exceptions, as always, confirm the rule. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
We've beat this horse with a stick several times!
For the most part, most here on this forum don't seem to have much respect for hunting behind high fences.
I'm of the opinion that it really doesn't offer the same challenge as free range. Yes, I know there are ranches in Texas that are big, but if you know there are animals on the ranch you've already up your chances of scoring. Would you go out into a wilderness area and limit yourself to 20,000 acres?

To each thier own I guess. A trophy to one man isn't always to the next. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
IMO the Ethics of it are definitely dependant upon the size of the enclosure. If you've seen these operations first hand, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I've seen ridiculous sights such as outfitters charging 10,000 dollars to shoot an Elk in a 100-200 acre pen and That my friend just rubs me the wrong way. Heck, you might as well pay a cattle farmer to shoot his dang cow at the feed bucket. Those animals were exactly like cows and you could've walked right up to them and kill them w/ a spear if you wanted. We turkey hunted on the neighboring property of that so called outfit and it was ridiculous to say the least.

On the other hand, many High fences are on very large tracts of land and are merely a means of trophy management, an expensive means.

Think about it, You've spent your hard earned money to buy 1000 acres and then some a--hole inherits a 30 acre strip right on the property line about dead center of your place. Youv'e been managing this place for several years and have gotten a good heard built up. Then, all of the sudden this a--hole invites 10 of his buddies for a couple of weeks and they kill about 30 deer from button heads, forkies, does fawns,.........Slob Hunters.

I wouldn't hold one grudge against the landowner if he put a 8' fence all the way down that side of his 1000 acre tract. All he's doing is saving his investment. I feel the same about the outfits that fence 10,000 acres completely.

I do find it ridiculous on the smaller fenced properties where it is such a canned hunt. For instance there's an 800 acre deer pen not far from here and it's about like shootin' fish in a barrel.

Another instance I know of that just ticks me off is where a good friend had 100 acres that had been in his family for years. Well, some rich butthole bought all of the land around his land and wanted his as well but, he wouldn't sell so the butthole put an 8' fences around my friends 100 acres and their hunting came to a screaching halt. I think that sort of thing should be illegal. My friends family weren't slob hunters at all but, they now own a useless piece of land in the middle of nowhere.

I do think that most High fences are built w/ ill intentions.

We just had a bunch of slob hunters come in on a very small piece of property in the middle of our family land and you would know that they placed their stands on the poperty lines. They've shot approx. 20 times in the last month and they are shooting every freakin' thing that moves. We been trying to manage this property for the last 4-5 years and it's just starting to pay off.....all down the tubes. If I had the money, I'd put a fence around their place in a heart beat. I hate slob hunters! Get's me red in the face just thinking about it, all of those food plots, all of that hard labor, etc etc

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobbby and Reloader are correct. My uncle has 2500 acres that we fenced to keep a lot of deer out. We'd been trying to manage the deer for years but there is a 10,000 acre natl guard armory across the road that is not hunted. The deer from the national guard property come over onto our side to eat, because we also have food plots and managed grass grazing, then leave. So we decided to fence it off to keep those deer out and manage our own herd.
We see a lot of bucks, primarily during the rut, and we've seen some very big deer but they are every bit as wild as any deer anywhere.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I've heard all the pro's and con's on this, especially in south africa, where almost everything is behind high fences. I've hunted behind them and couple of times, but it just isn't the same as free range. Result - I don't go behind them anywhere, anyplace, anymore

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Granted it's two different types of hunting.

One reason for high fence not discussed often is the need to keep exotic breeds captive. They can be more aggressive than Whitetail and in the case of Axis, will pressure them and crowd them out if allowed.

To some extent escapes are hard to avoid but usually get shot when they walk onto the wrong property. The Texas Hill Country is an example of a location where wild Axis populations have gotten out of hand, even though hunted year round.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schmaus:
I don't think its right, don't care how
big the area is.

Amen to that. It's like fishing in an aquarium...

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
Bobby Tomek, here in australia there is no need for high wire hunts, even though they do exist. I have never done so, but each to there own, as we are all hunters and we should not critisise each other. But surely you cant compare a free range hunt to a enclosure? Somebody has fenced animals in so they can be hunted. I personaly could NOT shoot an animal behind wire and then have it mounted as many do, and here in Oz many that do, then claim to have shot it free range. If you do hunt behind wire , do go pretending it was free range,you are only kidding yourself!
As for being experienced, well i have been hunting for 30 years, and a smaller stag freerange is fine by me.

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
duggaboybuff,

There is a 150,000 acre ranch in the South of Au that is high fenced and has some fine animals on it. I would bet that most of the animals on that ranch are not aware that they are fenced in. i would not hunt a small enclosure ,say 200 acres but a Big Whitetail buck that is in 200 acres of thickets will give you all the hunt you could ask for. A test was done a few years back in a 40 acre enclosure, 8 hunters and 1 eight point Whitetail. It took 3 days for the 8 hunters to see the buck. From what I have seen hunting Sambar it might be about the same.

Hawkeye47

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing that is seldom mentioned in these posts on high fence hunting is game density. The discussions usually focus on the enclosure size as the main factor affecting the "fairness" of the chase. What is not often mentioned is the game density in some of these operations. In Michigan, the DNR considers free ranging deer densities of more than 50 deer per square mile to be extremely high. Many of the largest and most publicized of the deer hunting operations boast deer densities of 300 to 500 or more deer per square mile!

In such an operation an individual animal may have a reasonable chance to escape if the area is large enough. However the "hunter" is essentially guaranteed success in a situation that is somewhat akin to "shooting fish in a barrell". On the other hand, even in a smaller fenced area, a hunt could be challenging if the deer density was close to that occurring in nature. The problem is not too many people who hunt the commercial ranches and lay out thousands want to take a chance at coming home without a trophy.

Please note that these comments pertain mainly to North American operations. A very different situation exists in places such as South Africa where game ranges on large fenced areas often exceeding 20,000 or even 100,000 acres and where there are no artifical feeding programs to maintain populations beyond the natural carrying capacity of the land.

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
The real reason for high fences is NOT to ensure a "kill," rather as stated earlier it is to manage a herd.

I have a small strip of 30 acres adjacent to my 160, with three stands on my fenceline. I am seriously considering high fencing just my north fence- selfish, maybe yes, but I do put a lot of work and $ into my land.

FWIW I've been told a lot of the SCI trophy red stags in NZ are high fenced, whereas those in Argentina they're not.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1433 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old4x4:
quote:
Originally posted by schmaus:
I don't think its right, don't care how
big the area is.

Amen to that. It's like fishing in an aquarium...

using that logic, all fresh-water fishing is unsporting, because the fish are constrained to the boundries of the lake or stream, no matter how large.

If you put in a high fence and REDUCE AND MAINTAIN the deer density to within the carrying capacity of the land, the hunting is actually more challenging than in the surrounding area in which the deer density per unit area is higher. The difference is that when you DO see a deer, it will be bigger and healthier.

As Ramhunter mentioned, there are a number of factors (including game density, cover, acreage, etc.) which determine when a hunt becomes a "shoot". A high fence is one factor but not the only factor.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:

using that logic, all fresh-water fishing is unsporting, because the fish are constrained to the boundries of the lake or stream, no matter how large.

That's kind of stretching it. Deer and moose can't swim across the Atlantic or Pacific, either. They're trapped on the landmass. I just don't like the idea of prey being trapped behind a fence. The density of fish in an aquarium is a little bit different than a lake with billions of gallons of water.
If you want to hunt inside of a fence, more power to ya. It's just not for me.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a quick couple of questions about the land use or management for the people who own land and are managing it.

1. Are the deer on your property yours? Did you pay for them and if so to who? Do you buy a govt licence to hunt them or can you actualy hunt as many as you want?

2. Are you managing them to your specs for the biggest bucks on your land? Or are you consulting several biologists to ensure healthy and balanced deer population in the general area?

3.If you are incorporating food plots are you hunting on or around the food plot? Some people might think this as baiting.

4. Are these people that Reloader mentioned slob hunters? Or are they legally harvisting deer with the approprate licences on land that they have right to access?

5.Are people who hunt for meat or do not have the bucks to own land slob hunters?

There are alot of different perspectives on high,low, and no fenced hunting.If you are not breaking the law it is up to the individual personal "ethics" if you want to use that word to hunt however you want.If you don't like it don't do it.

To reloader just playing devils advocate here.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

You own land.
you have spent alot of time and money on food plots.
You care about the trophy quality on your land.
You do not like the fact that someone might shoot a potential trophy deer that you have been feeding.
The deer that you have been feeding are not legally yours.
You hunt on or around your personal food plots.
Some people could say you are baiting deer with the food plots.
You do not like meat hunters.

Posts: 82 | Location: Millarville, Alberta | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to share my experience with high fence hunting. I am a meat hunter nad proud of it. I was unable to obtain a doe tag for my hunting area and being public land bucks are very hard to come by. Also my dad is not in the best of shape so he needs things to be a little easier. So I booked a hunt for the two of use to shoot a doe apiece. We went monday.We both had a great time. The area is just under 800 hundred acres with about four hundred deer. The deer are not feed except in winter to supplement the natural food sources. The herd is managed strictly by harvest. I hunted as hard if not harder for my deer than any others in the past. The deer would not let you approach closer than a few hundred yards if they seen you. I felt as if I hunted,not just shot a deer. As far as shooting a buck goes I would pass. Not because of it being a fenced in area but because the commercialness of it all. I just do not like the idea of a deer being reduced to a score and a dollar value. This happens in high fence areas as well with wild deer on large managed unfenced private propeties. I just have to much respect for the animal to only worry about what it will score and how much he costs. For a meat hunt that respects the animal for what it is truly worth I have no trouble at all with high fenced properties. I have my hunt already booked for next year.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dark Templar raises some very interesting points.
As usual in here, anyone that doesn't hunt exactly like you do or in anyway interfears with the harvesting of "YOUR" deer becomes a "slob hunter".
I've never hunted a canned hunt nor behind high fences but the question of "when does it stop being hunting and becomes killing" is something each must answer for himself.
You might want to remember that most whitetail deer live out their lives in an area of less than a sq mile.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll take a stab:

quote:

1. Are the deer on your property yours? NoDid you pay for them and if so to who?No Do you buy a govt licence to hunt them or can you actualy hunt as many as you want?If they are native game (whitetails, you need a license, if they are exotic, they belong to the landowner.

2. Are you managing them to your specs for the biggest bucks on your land? To balance the herd with the pasture and let the bucks reach maturity Or are you consulting several biologists to ensure healthy and balanced deer population in the general area?Yes, working with the state biologist

3.If you are incorporating food plots are you hunting on or around the food plot? No food plots, if the population is within the carrying capacity, supplemental feeding is of no benefit Some people might think this as baiting.

4. Are these people that Reloader mentioned slob hunters?Strickly opinion Or are they legally harvisting deer with the approprate licences on land that they have right to access? There is nothing legally to stop a person from buying one acre next to a large ranch, setting out bait and killing a bazillion deer. At what point this becomes "slob hunting" is personal opinion.

5.Are people who hunt for meat or do not have the bucks to own land slob hunters?Certainly not, on a well managed ranch, to maintain the correct buck-doe ratio, does must be taken every year.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iwzbeeman:
Dark Templar raises some very interesting points.
As usual in here, anyone that doesn't hunt exactly like you do or in anyway interfears with the harvesting of "YOUR" deer becomes a "slob hunter".
I've never hunted a canned hunt nor behind high fences but the question of "when does it stop being hunting and becomes killing" is something each must answer for himself.
You might want to remember that most whitetail deer live out their lives in an area of less than a sq mile.

This was one of the best statements I've ever seen or heard on this topic.

Unfortunately there will never be an end to this topic because there are so many hunters here that spend way to much time at their computers arguing and worrying about what other hunters to and way too little time hunting.

It's a sickness and these discussions usually end up in perpetual pissing contests but the participants never seem to learn from their mistakes and get upset and argue over and over and over and over and never seem satisfied.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There does seem to be a fair amount of armchair hunting going on here.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The thing that worries me about high fence hunting is that you get landowners who have private land as well as grazing lease, then they put a huge fence around everything and then they call the wildlife theirs as well as the grazing lease which is crown land. Then they proceed to "manage the wildlife" and only let guide and outfitters with clients on there.Then it is only the rich that can afford to go hunting while the landowner and outfitter make money on public wildlife and have the only access to grazing lease.

Posts: 82 | Location: Millarville, Alberta | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I guess if you just want meat.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
To reloader just playing devils advocate here.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yep, Wrong and here's a small example of why:

My definition of a slob hunter (Well at least part of my def.): Hunters that place stands on your property line clearly facing on your property so that game on your property can be harvested by them poaching and trespassing to retrieve the game. The same hunters whose family could be fed for a year(until next season) on 1 to 3 deer but, yet must hunt all season long and shoot every deer any size or sex they see and just give the meat away to anyone that will take it.

I guess my anger towards this type of hunting is derived from actual experience of seeing a deer herd devaststated on my own place.

20 years ago our deer herd was so poor that you could hunt all season religiously and only see 5 or 6 deer and be lucky to take one. That was a result of slob hunters shooting every deer in the woods. on surrounding property, mostly by poaching. Luckily we've been able to get a handle on things and build our herd over the past 10-15 years and on that very same property you can now go and see several deer during a hunt. As you would know some pecker heads that got permission to hunt on a VERY small strip of land in the middle of ours are slob hunters(5 guys on about 20-30 acres bewildered). We've been letting the young bucks and doe go and they shoot every thing from button heads on. They have stands every where but, they've conviently placed them right on the property lines where they are clearly shooting on our land but, you have to babysit the sobs to actually catch them. We finally caught one of them shooting at one of our nicer bucks at least 200 - 250 yards out onto our place but, the sucker ran as we approached him and the sad thing about it is he shot across a highway right at one of our stands. They have literaly slaughtered a pile of deer on that tiny piece of property (Many Many more than they could possibly eat due to their small families), deer that were in the area due to one of our large food plots and some year around feeders located approx 150 yards into our land on each side of their new ambush site. I have absolutely no respect for this type of scumb, they are lower than dog crap in my book.

This is just a very small example of episodes w/ slob hunters we've had over the years.

I've seen the other herd management needs on large ranches as well. In some instances Fecning is definitely the way to go but, not always.

On another note, There is a huge difference between a Man that harvest an animal for his family to eat and a man that shoots everything in the woods wether legal or not just cause he wants to see blood.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duggaboybuff:
I am sure this topic must have been raised before, I am reasonably new to AR and would like to know other people's thoughts on hunting behind high wire inclosures.I know this can sometimes be controvertial and I am not opposed to others doing so, each to there own, but a 8 point deer in the wild to me is better than a 16 point deer behind high wire, regardless of inclosure size.

That's fine and you're entitled to that belief and opinion.....it matches a lot of other folks.

What I don't understand is why those that don't want to hunt that way continually consider those that do to be some sort of unethical hunters.....
Ethics are the self imposed rules we all hunt with....laws are the rules we impose upon each other. My ethics have no bearing on others and vice versa.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vapodog:
What I don't understand is why those that don't want to hunt that way continually consider those that do to be some sort of unethical hunters.....

I don't consider them "hunters" at all. I have no problem with the activity but, it has no business being called "hunting" any moreso than buying a pound of ground beef should be called hunting.

The one thing I do respect about those who choose to kill something in a pen is that at least they have the guts to kill it themselves rather than buying it in the grocery store.

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The one thing I do respect about those who choose to kill something in a pen is that at least they have the guts to kill it themselves rather than buying it in the grocery store.
This is a great point. This is how I feel about this type of "hunting". All you are doing is cutting out the middle man. Grocery shopping with a rifle as I like to call it. It can still be fun and a challange but it is not a true hunt. This is why I would only shoot a meat animal in this type of situation. All those antlers prove is how big your checking account balance was.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome comment Mike. That is exactly the way I see the whole caged hunting thing. The more money you have to spend the bigger the buck the landowner ties to a tree for you. Takes a lot of skill to kill a fenced in animal. thumbdown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't necessarily think all high fenced hunting is wrong even though in many cases I don't agree with and would not do it myself. As others have stated sometimes people are forced to do this by their bad neighbors.

I've become more opposed to it over the past few years because of what it has led to here in texas. Many of these high fenced, game restricted ranches have gone overboard in the name of deer management. They are buying / selling deer for breeding purposes and in effect turning a hunting operation into a deer farming operation, no different than a commercial cattle ranch.

I think people should be free to do what they want on their own land but I'm worried about the future of whitetial hunting here in texas as this sort of practice increases in popularity. My kids won't have the same opportunities that I had growing up to hunt true native free ranging deer because 20 years from now this type of hunting will be a thing of the past if we continue down the same roAd we are on now.

The motivation to selectively breed whitetails is primarily a monetary one because of the price people will pay to shoot a large, high scoring mature deer. This type of hunting opens the door for many people that probably wouldn't have hunted before because of the time and effort it takes to be successful in that endeavor.

We kill some good deer on our place but I'll never kill a 200+ class whitetail because those are few and far between as naturally produced in the wild. I'm fine with that because its more about the hunting than just the killing with me anyway.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Quit bitching about high fences! I've never hunted inside of them. But if you don't like them, then don't hunt there. Stop judging others that hunt there - Hunting is too valuable worldwide to allow this issue to drive wedge between us hunters!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Yep, the subject has only been brought up about 8700 times in the past couple fo years.

Short answer, if you don't like it don't do it.

Those that do hunt on high fence ranches really don't care what others think. If you want to believe hunting a 5,000-13,000 acre ranch is bad or unethical because it's fenced that's up to you.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sure seems like the majority of High-Fence supporters are from East of Colorado and West of Nevada. The game in those areas rarely migrate and are mainly whitetails and small game. Most of the supporters of High-Fence are not all that familiar (intimately) with wild herds of most species shot behind high-fences.

Whitetails have a small home range. But elk, mule deer, antelope, and most African species are wanderers, migrating and moving. To confine them to any area unnatural boundary is simply holding them in for the purpose of man, to kill them or control them.

Anyone who thinks that confining a bull elk to 200,000 acres is plain wrong. In many places a bull elk may move 20 miles between rubbing his velvet and the rut. He may move 50 miles to winter. A mulie buck might move 100 miles to his traditional winter range. African animals seem to be always on the move. (At least that is what National Geographic said Smiler )

So to all those supporters of highfences, go enjoy your shoots. Tip your guides. But please don't compare your kill to the animals frotunate enough to live outside of high fence boundaries. And don't call it hunting. "Fair Chase", high fences are not.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
If the exotic breeders loose the ability to market their animals to high fence ranches things will get worse for those animals not better. This is something to think about. These places do serve a purpose.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have three west Texas ranches and all are low fence cattle and sheep operations. I can get you in my pickup and drive you out to find a buck in a reasonable amount of time. We have no deer feeding program going. I don't know if you call these free ranging deer as our ranches only range in size from 54,000 acres to 1,008 acres but all are fenced. Now, somedays it is real easy to find deer...I just drive you to four or five spots where we see them all the time...other days you could not find one if he had a GPS locater tied to his butt.
A high fenced deer is just as hard to get as a low fenced deer if the place is of any size. It is all according to the amount of cover (brush) the ratio of bucks to does, the ratio of deer per acre period.
If you are going to have any deer of any quality then you have to manage them just like you would your cattle or sheep. If it does not rain (or as I call ranching in west Texas...Desert Ranching 101!) you best cull the hell out of your stock (deer too) or you will have a hell of a die off from lack of food source or you will have to feed everything including the deer.
Deer Hunting...first you gotta have them and second you gotta find them. The fence size makes damn little difference to the deer as to its ability to hide from you.
High fencing serves a damn good purpose on many occassions. Until you become a land owner with game animals I am not sure many of you understand both sides of the coin.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harry has got it perfectly right! Whether behind low fences or high fences (BTW owners with high fences know how to manage their game they own very well!), wild animals are good enough to know how to survive and dodge and dive any hunter anytime!

MC you are talking through your neck and I wonder how much hunting experience you had. Simply because if you had any you would have known of better.

Harry's smallest property of 1008 acres could result in a 'no deer found hunting experience', even if they are there in reasonable numbers, on one day and quite the opposite the next day!

Reloader:
Talking of double standards - read what you're saying:
quote:
Another instance I know of that just ticks me off is where a good friend had 100 acres that had been in his family for years. Well, some rich butthole bought all of the land around his land and wanted his as well but, he wouldn't sell so the butthole put an 8' fences around my friends 100 acres and their hunting came to a screaching halt. I think that sort of thing should be illegal. My friends family weren't slob hunters at all but, they now own a useless piece of land in the middle of nowhere.

Then when your property has the same situation:
quote:
We just had a bunch of slob hunters come in on a very small piece of property in the middle of our family land and you would know that they placed their stands on the poperty lines. They've shot approx. 20 times in the last month and they are shooting every freakin' thing that moves. We been trying to manage this property for the last 4-5 years and it's just starting to pay off.....all down the tubes. If I had the money, I'd put a fence around their place in a heart beat. I hate slob hunters! Get's me red in the face just thinking about it, all of those food plots, all of that hard labor, etc etc.

Guys, please be sensible!

Posts: 58 | Location: Botswana - RSA - Namibia | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reloader:
Talking of double standards - read what you're saying:

quote:

Then when your property has the same situation:

quote:
We just had a bunch of slob hunters come in on a very small piece of property in the middle of our family land and you would know that they placed their stands on the poperty lines. They've shot approx. 20 times in the last month and they are shooting every freakin' thing that moves. We been trying to manage this property for the last 4-5 years and it's just starting to pay off.....all down the tubes. If I had the money, I'd put a fence around their place in a heart beat. I hate slob hunters! Get's me red in the face just thinking about it, all of those food plots, all of that hard labor, etc etc.

Guys, please be sensible!

Gecko,

You clearly did not read the post entirely! Double standards my foot!

If you'll reread, you'll see that the friend I have that had the rich guy try to buy his property and he didn't want to sell his long owned family land. My friend and his family were selective in the game they harvested and they harvested very few deer on this place but, now their hunting is over.

If you'll read the account on my place it is a very small piece of land where far too many hunters (5 guys on about 20 acres) are hunting and they are shooting every deer that comes into view regardless of age or sex, several of which were on MY property that the sobs poached! I've have no respect for this type of slob. Just the other day one of those SOBs had the audacity to tell me not to drive onto my own property because I was disrupting his hunting on my property line!!! Mad I almost blew my top.

That clearly is not double standards my friend. If the slobs hunting by our place were ethical and legal hunter's that respected others property, I'd have no problem w/ them at all.

Have a Good One

Reloader

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did read it all.

Firstly, how was the rich guy supposed to know your friends were not slob hunters?
He only protected what he bought - land plus game on it - wise decision.

Secondly, your slob hunter neighbours might just as well thought that the deer on your side of the fence originally came from their property. Unless you can call each deer by name you haven't got a clear cut and dry footing to stand on firmly.

See why high fences work so well?

Posts: 58 | Location: Botswana - RSA - Namibia | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
You clearly just want to disagree and you clearly don't understand Whitetail hunting here in the US.

Have a Nice Day.

Reloader