Find
Notify
Tools

Another Cow Elk Hunt Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted
I have gone on a number of cow elk hunts in northern New Mexico in the past and I'd like to hunt cow elk again sometime. The problem is my kidneys have failed and I am now on peritoneal dialysis.

Peritoneal dialysis is a overnight process and can be done in any reasonable clean place where there is electricity and water to wash up. Unfortunately PD requires a 35 lb machine as well as 30 lbs of fluid for every day.

I haven't had any problems on September antelope hunts or work related trips but cow elk hunts usually take place in the dead of winter. I am concerned about taking a cross country road trip in subzero weather while carrying a couple of hundred pounds of water based solution in the back of my truck. If it freezes I cannot get my treatments and will get very sick, very quickly.

What I am looking for is a cow elk hunt that takes place in milder weather. It's no surprise that being on dialysis means that I'm not in the best physical condition so the terrain must be easy. I could handle the New Mexico foothills but really high elevation, rough country and climbing are out of the question. For what it's worth, I've got a NM disabled hunter certificate.

I'm not interested in any sort of high-fence shooting or DIY hunts.

Any suggestions?

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
You might consider earlier season (September) bowhunts. As a disabled hunter, you could do those with a crossbow. I believe that many early hunts are either sex, but there might be opportunities to target only cows at a lower-than-a-bull cost. Reach out to those NM outfitters you have worked with in the past and see what they say about this option.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Southern Colorado cow elk hunt on a 80,000 private ac. cattle ranch where I hunt every year just about.

The ranch borders on the town of Walsenburg Co. and the lodge is in town, has electricity, and water, serve breakfast, and lunch, your on your own for supper in town, 1x1 guide is furnished and success rate is close to 100%, Ive never failed to connect and Im 83 years old..I sit on a stump and watch a couple of meadows while the guide pokes around on a high spot telling me where they are going to come out..I believe we are booked full by now but not sure..$2500. includes your non residence license....A special hunt in late Sept, and early Oct. If interested call or email me at the below contact numbers.

the hunt can be as easy as you want it or hard as hell, depending on what part of the ranch you hunt and how you want to do it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe take a rented Suburban with cabin heat all the way back to the tailgate?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14624 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My cow elk hunt in East Central Montana, may be perfect for you. all the details are posted in the Outfitter section.

Posts: 265 | Location: Corvallis,montana | Registered: 10 January 2011Reply With Quote