New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabela's Alaska Guide 30MM
 Login/Join

<AZOnecam>
posted
Anyone have any experience with these scopes - good, bad or ugly? I'm interested in the 6.5-20AOx52, and would like to hear your opinions.

The rifle is a .300 Wby Mag used primarily for coues deer. One of the first things I noticed was that at over 24 oz it's significantly heavier than just about any other scope I've seen. How "noticable" are 8-10 extra ounces on a rifle?

Thanks
Jason

one of us
posted Hide Post
A scope that big and heavy will not last long on a rifle like that no matter who makes it. I've seen them go sour in 300-400 rds.
I owned a 6.5-20X40 Leupold for several years. I couldn't use the uppper end of it's magnification unless the rifle was placed on a solid rest. Anything over 14-16X has a tendency to suffer from mirage problems as well.
I suggest you consider a smaller, lighter scope with a 10-14X top end. E

[ 10-15-2003, 20:26: Message edited by: Eremicus ]

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I agree, leave the high powered scopes for the varmint rifles. A good 3x9 or at the most 4x12 is more than enough maginfication for all practical big game hunting, IMO.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The scopes, I BELIEVE are made by Celestron, and supposed to be OK.

I agree with the other two fellas about the magnifacation. Though I would use a variable power setup, with a 40-42mm objective max..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the 3x12x52 model in a Cabelas store . If I recall right , it was marked LOW (light optical works , japan) . I believe these scopes (with the 30 mm tubes) are the samw thing as the Tasco Titan line , at least they looked almost identical . So , if you decide to get one of these scopes , buy it as a Tasco at about 1/3 the price....... [Big Grin]

[ 10-16-2003, 16:59: Message edited by: sdgunslinger ]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
depending on the budget (too lazy to look at the prices)... Leupold VX-II or VX-III and/or a Zeiss Conquest (??? never used one, heard good things) would be a great choice for that rifle.

I've toyed with some REALLY high-end scopes (swarovski, to name one) and while they were VERY bright and clear, I didn't see a significant improvement over the VX-III... but that's just me, and I'm blind.

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
<sendero338>
posted
AZOonecam: Let me start by saying first of all If you have the money, I would sugest a Leo in a lower power. Why?...clarity,sharpness,light weight,and last but not least warrenty.

Cabelas scopes are a good bang for the buck. Just not as good when you start going to a variable over 12x. In my opinion, oh yea I have a 3x12x52 Cabelas and it is a good scope just a little heavier than I want when Im stumbling my way down watch draw. Try to stay away from the higher power scope's believe me these guy's speak from experience.