Find
Notify
Tools

150gr TSX in 30-06 for Elk?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted
Yesterday I got a 150 TSX load in a Model 760 Remington to shoot just under an inch at 100yds with 58gr of IMR4350 just at 3000fps.

We were going to shoot the 168's but the local sports store was out but we tried the 150gr just to try them.

Would these be ok for Elk with 300yd or less shots?

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you will be fine. Lots of elk are taken every year around here with .303's and 30/30's shooting non premium 150's.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 150s will work just fine. Accuracy kills!!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use em. I've shot several elk with standard jacketed 150 gr. bullets and they worked just fine, just had to be a bit particular about only broad side shots. The way the TSX's hold together you will get penetration that only a heavier traditional bullet would get.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
I put two 150gr TSX through a really big bull. The first one dumped him and the second was insurance. Impact velocity was about 2850. I wish I could have recovered a bullet.

Admittedly, they were both broadside shots, and I cannot know for certain how they would have done on a quartering angle. But I have a strong suspicion they would have worked fine.

0351 USMC

Posts: 1534 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum61:

Would these be ok for Elk with 300yd or less shots?

Yes, absolutely, no problem. When I lived in Tucson, I learned that there were many elk hunters that used the 150 Partition in 30.06 and 300 WM. (for flat trajectory). My boss killed 3 bull elk with his .277 Titas and 150 grain bullets. But I do not remember shot distances.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was going to work up a load for elk I would look at the 165 grain in the 30-06. 150 will work but the 165 or even the 180 may be a better choice. I used to shoot 140 NP in my 264 win mag. Killed a lot of elk with it but did have some problems on a few. I now use a 300 HH with 180 NP. I just do not want to drive 2600 miles on a elk hunt and take a chance with loosing and elk due to a poor blood trail.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 150's will work fine. I've seen plenty of elk killed with cheap 150 core lokts.

Going up in weight 30 grains isn't going to do shit in a premium bullet,but look better on paper. A 30 grain increase,isn't even the equivalent of a .22 LR bullet. Yet people act like this increase,is like dropping a 500lb bomb on an elk. Now that you've got the bullet,try finding some elk.