THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: What 2 way radios are the best for hunting?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What 2 way radios are the best for hunting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dutch,

It's just to communicate with each other every once and awhile not to aid in the taking of an animal. We'll actually be over in your neck of the woods looking for moose on the river.

Nathan

Posts: 179 | Location: Boise, ID | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only time I've seen them (2-way radios) in the field they were used to ambush elk in New Mexico. That's the problem with "for emergency only", it very seldom stays that way.

To much competition by guides and outfitters to turn in those high success rates, to attract more customers. Makes people blur the legal / ethical line.

A man I know is going to hunt elk in Central New Mexico this fall. The outfitter mentioned to him that he was going to fly the area with a chopper a few days in advance to spot the elk. It may be legal, but it certainly sounds borderline from the ethical standpoint.

Posts: 13812 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Communications equipment may be used for safety purposes; however it may not be used to aid in the taking of game.

I understand that. In fact I use radios to talk to my hunting partners. However, last year several hunters had to go to court over the use of radios. The problem with the regulation is a follows: The words "taking of game" is somewhat of a general nature. For example, lets say that I see a moose from as I stand on a ridge, and I can also see my hunting partner walking down below, somewhere around 300 yards from the moose. So I call him and tell him, "walk north about 150 yards, and keep your eyes peeled." To the casual listener, that does not mean much, but if my hunting partner and I have discussed the signals and directions to get to a moose, that last communication has in fact directed him to a moose he can't see from where he is at.

Those are the problems hunters who have been caught using radios while hunting are facing in court. In the area I hunt, most hunters use some sort of radio to communicate with their hunting partners, and some have been caught directing other hunters to game by F&G. Now, I use radios to check on my hunting partners, or to ask them for help with moose or other game I may have already killed, to help with tracking, etc., or in an emergency.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see what everyone is using for hunting and/or their recommendations. Price isn't a huge concern within reason (say 150/each or less). Range and clarity are the biggest concerns.

Nathan

Posts: 179 | Location: Boise, ID | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like them for hunting at all. Ethically, I have no use for them, and in some states I think they may be illegal.

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Using radios while hunting is illegal in ID. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Using radios while hunting is illegal in Alaska.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
its legal in Texas

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two-way communications cannot be used while hunting and can only be used in the field in the case of emergencies in Montana. CP.

Posts: 153 | Location: Wapiti Way, MT | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Since you DIDN'T ask whether or not they were legal, I will answer your question about the radios! Midland GXT-200, 7 mile range, 22 channels, great reception, $32/ pair.

To add my two bits to the ethics don't have much to do with it my opinion because:

1) They are used in my family only to make connections following an appointed meeting time.

2) Trying to pinpoint game with them (hey Jack, they are headed your way!) isn't practical, knowing how game reacts to the human voice.

3) For peace of mind and keeping kids from getting lost they are MORE than worthwhile.

Posts: 596 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All my buddies carry them and on one of the ranches I guide on all guides are required to carry them for emergency purposes. Kill a bull at dark, get to him, pictures, cape and quarter, then start the long hike out. We send out the rescue crews at about 1030 pm. It has saved our bacon to get on the radio and communicate with the guide and his hunter.

Most of us use the Garmin Rhino. Ok range, but has GPS built in. Great tool as it marks the location of the other users and can plot a course directly to them by them only keying their mike. Great saftey tool. Thus I have a radio and GPS combo. I have used the GPS this year tracking a wounded antelope. Instead of tying flagging tape to the brush to create a trail if the blood is thin and slow, I simply mark the way points. I can then go back to the last blood, or look at the trend and direction of travel.

It has also helped me find the truck in the darkest of night and snowstorms.

It has also allowed me to see how close to the state line I am as I hunt close to the WYO border on the Utah ranch.

I agree with the ethics and legal concerns, but for saftey, utility and security, they can't be beat.

Posts: 51 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 Motorola radios and would buy them again.

For those who've never used a radio - They're very handy. In NE, we can use them while hunting as long as we don't use them to communicate information on game. One of the main reasons I think they're a good idea is for safety. When someone's hurt/lost, every second may count and radios are a great tool in this department. Safety aside, they also make it very easy to coordinate goings-on/departure times, etc. In addition, they're handy when caravaning in an area that doesn't have cell reception. This helps coordinate pit stops/directions (and also gives kids something fun to do ).

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Using radios while hunting is illegal in Alaska.

Ray,

I think that's over-generalizing it a bit.

The regs say...

Communications equipment may be used for safety purposes; however it may not be used to aid in the taking of game.

...so while you can't call your buddy and tell him there's a buck 300 yards to his left. It's okay to call him and tell him the path he's taking down the mountain is not the safest one available. 'Safety' is a very general term and I don't think it should be meant that radios can only be used when already in distress, but rather to avoid distress.

I almost always carry a marine handheld VHF radio while hunting. Most transmit at 5 watts, much higher than all the popular GMRS/FRS radios sold these days to hunters. I have no qualms about using it to tranmit my location or intentions to a buddy on a boat while hunting. But I never would use it to lead someone to game or anything of that nature.

While I would never advocate breaking the law. But if hunting in the Rockies, hundreds of miles from any large bodies of water where marine band radios are used, the chances of anyone, or any agency, hearing your communications are next to nill. Naturally using channel 16 would NOT be wise, but some channels, like 68-72 are designated for non-commercial and non-safety transmissions (like plain chatting.)

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a set. Most of the time they are used when I'm hunting near my home. I leave one on in the house so I can radio my wife and tell her to fix me something to eat!~

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our hunting group has been carrying walkie talkies since I was a boy, still carry them when hunting for contacting each other, usually once an hour at a set time. We have been using the Cobra 45WX handheld CBs with the aux antennae for about 6-8 yrs now. The rubber duck antennaes are a joke when you get into rough country where the terrain interferres with radio transmission. The extra antennae length makes the difference. We've tried GMRS but they were of little use too, probably cuz of their little antennaes. Using the radios has saved our misplaced hunters more than once. In '69, my dad spent the night on Mt St Helens due to not getting out by dark, too steep and rocky to travel at night, but we knew he was OK cuz of the radio, he walked out the next day.

If you hunt in fairly flat terrain, the GMRS will probably work for ya, but by federal law, you need to buy licenses to use them legally. GMRS are small, light and compact. FRS radios are less powerful and no license is needed. We stuck with the handheld CBs for their power and not needing a license, and they have worked for us in the mountains of Washington for the better part of 50yrs, although the more recent compact designs of hand held CBs have worked the best.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/generalmobile/

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote