THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What should I see in the Portland OR area?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What should I see in the Portland OR area?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted
I'm off in the morning for a week in the Portland OR area. I want to see the Spruce Goose but my hosts aren't outdoorsy so they probably don't know what I should see to satisfy my outdoor curiosities. What do you locals recommend I see while in the area?

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
East on I84 to the US30 secnic route. You'll also go past Multnomah Falls, gotta stop. If you have the time, make a day trip to Tillamook and the cheese factory. US26 west to Hwy6 to Tillamook. Follows the Wilson River a good way's. From there go north on US101 to Astoria and back to Portland on US30. Maybe a trip to the Mt Hood ski lodge. I'm 61 and the last time I was there I was about 4, I need to go up again. I'll think some more on it.

almost forgot. Take US26 east to the east side of Sandy to Clamity Jane's. Any kinda of hamburger you can think of. Spruce Goose is over in McMinville.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
A lot of rain......

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mostly tree huggers........ jumping

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made my first visit to Portland in August, and I heartily endorse Don's recommendation to see the falls about an hour's drive up the Columbia River.

Portland is the world's microbrew capital, if you're into beers. McMennimen's (sp?) has multiple locations and their fish and chips (halibut) that I had was fantastic. There are about 1000 other microbreweries to visit, it seems.

I contacted Leupold about a factory tour, but they don't offer it.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I'd also second Don's reccomendation.

When I have business visitors I tell them to take the "Historic Columbia River Hwy" to Multnomah Falls. Then take I84 E to Hood river. Take Hwy 35 S to 26 W. Then up to Timberline Lodge (pretty cool place built in the depression). Then back down 26 to Portland. (you'll go by the burger place on this leg).

Nice big loop that has some amazing vistas.

This takes the better part of the day.

If you go see the Spruce goose, you'll be on your way to the coast. If you keep going past Mcminville, you'll end up in Lincoln City on the coast, then up the coast to Tillimook (Hwy 101). You can then visit the creamery (I highly reccomend the Smoked White Sharp Cheddar, can't get it anywhere else, so stock up). You can then either head back to Portland alond Hwy 6, or go up along US 101 to either Cannon Beach or on to Astoria. At either town you can work your way back over the Coast range to Portland.

Another big loop.

Enjoy your stay and be sure to try a couple of brewries (Bridge Port and/or Black Lab) as well as McMinnamins.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bearcat:
Mostly tree huggers........ jumping

Not all of them... just way too many of them... homer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea, I know, I have a Sister that lives in the Portland area. I tell her that I feel sorry for her all the time Big Grin. Being a Non Western Oregonian along with you I'm sure you share my frustation of being "ran" by 2-3 counties in the loony lib sector.

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Befor you come back aroung Hwy35 check to see if it's open again. It's been closed for quite awhile for some reason.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a wildlife refuge near Jewell (sp?) west of the Portland areasuresure and east of Astoria. A herd of Roosevelt elk winter there. May be too late in the year to see them now i'm not sure, but some of those bulls are fantastic .

Posts: 88 | Location: Riverbank CA | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Go to the Zoo!! It's on the light rail route from downtown and (I think) is at the top of the hill between Portland and Beaverton.

It's a great zoo with lots of excellent exibits

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go see Nike town and be like Mike. Also OMSI (Oregon museum of science and industry)is very interesting for kids if you are taking any along. Lots of great microbrews as someone else stated. Maybe the Trailblazers are playing in town. I know alot of these are indoors not outdoors. Have fun.

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
The Danner factory / outlet.

If you have some time run up the gorge and look for Big Horn on the south side. I'm having a brain fart as to the name but you can't miss the rimrock.

Do a micro-brew tour.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Danner
Leupold
Columbia cruise on the steernwheeler
Always stop by the Dancin Bear for a steak Big Grin

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
head about an hour north and check out Mt. St. Helens. If you are into fishing, you may be able to book a guide for some steelhead.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Silverfalls state park, just outside of salem.

there are about 10 really good water falls in a 7mile loop. or a smaller 5 mile loop you can see most of them. its great this time of year lots of water.

Wine tours in the Williamette Valley are a must do as well. Drive out 99W or down 47. If you want more Info send me a note I'd be happy to talk on the phone or email more.

Posts: 19 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: 17 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you take the loop through Tillamook to Astoria,
Hike down to Short Sands Beach at Oswald West State Park, (about 30 miles north of Tillamook) About 7 miles North of there drive into Ecola State Park Go all the way to Indian Beach, These are two of the truely magic places on this earth.

Posts: 107 | Location: Wet side | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
stop in and see the big sitka spruce off of Highway 26 just outside of seaside.

Eat at camp 18 on highway 26, 18 miles from the coast best for dinner.

Downtown portland go to one of the Jakes for happy hour 4-6.

City grill is a great place for late night drinks and a great view of the city.

Posts: 19 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: 17 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!
I got your messages when I got to Portland. I couldn't have seen everything suggested. I could have filled several weeks of vacation. But, I did see enough of the city and environs to wish I lived there. I also stumbled on an old army buddy in Seattle and the wife and I met them for dinner.
A good time was had by all.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote