Find
Notify
Tools

Jon A is a...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted
man of his word. After issuing a challenge on the latest MatchKing thread and offering $100 for the first person who posted a photo of a fired but unexpanded MK, he paid up. I recieved the check today via priority mail.

Now, Jon has shown character and integrity. He could have easily disappeared into cyberlimbo but chose instead to honor his word.

We need more people in the world like that...

Thanks, Jon, and by the way, I am buying my 10 year-old son some of the books you suggested -- and maybe that'll slow him down on depleting my ammo supply.

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear that, maybe this cyber shouting match has come to a cease-fire and we can all live in peace in harmony. [Smile] I feel terrible about an internet transaction that I made because I sent a final payment for a used scope to a private party today and forgot to include the shipping costs. He emailed and informed me of my error, the money will go out immediately tomorrow morning, but I hope I didn't ruin him on doing internet/email transactions. Good to know there are men of their word out there. I hope he forgives me.
Yardbird

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby - What would be even more awesome is if you tore the check up or sent it back.

Just an unsolicited thought.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
or bought some raffle tickets and parlayed it into a buff hunt!

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Pecos,

What would be even more awesome is if Bobby sent me the check and let me tear it up. [Big Grin]

[ 11-15-2002, 06:52: Message edited by: Longbob ]

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why ever should he send the money back? Jon A made a dumb bet, lost, and paid off. End of story.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Bily Lovec>
posted
gato, you hitting the german beer again ? [Wink] I think they're saying, its just a matter of principle..maybe ?

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Pecos-
It was a matter of priciple that I keep the money -- not give it back. My years of experience with the bullets in question was challenged, and I was basically told I was full of BS -- that recovering an unexpanded MatchKing was not possible when I noted earlier that I have numerous MKs in the files of my gun room that have done just that.

In fact, it was this quote by Jon A that drove me to posting the picture -- and what eventually got me the $100.
"Those of you who know they can fail to expand so easily should easily be able to make them fail to expand, right? Do it. Show it. Prove it. Or shut the f--- up." (Edited to remove the profanity)

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO
I think you should donate it to your local NRA, RMEF, SCI etc. You get the benefits of a tax write off, the sport is better for your involvement, Jon A is out the C note for not qualifying his bet.
Either that or buy some ammo for the 10 year old. Either way, make sure it goes to a good cause.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, let's start a new forum for everybody who needs advice on how to spend their money.

Seems there is plenty to go round. Advice, that is. [Roll Eyes]

I'll start:

Hi, my name is Rick. I have a $20 bill in my wallet, and I can't figure out what is the ethical thing to do with it.
Can you help me?

Somebuddy who knows?

Rick. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ 11-15-2002, 20:40: Message edited by: rick3foxes ]

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geee, a hundred bucks, from someone opening thier mouth, or in this case, putting microns to phosphor...

Thank him for the early Christmas present!

I love experts.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rick3foxes:
OK, let's start a new forum for everybody who needs advice on how to spend their money.

Seems there is plenty to go round. Advice, that is. [Roll Eyes]

I'll start:

Hi, my name is Rick. I have a $20 bill in my wallet, and I can't figure out what is the ethical thing to do with it.
Can you help me?

Somebuddy who knows?

Rick. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I will be very happy to take care of all the money you do not know how to spend.

In fact, I guarantee you, I will only use it for one purpose - go on safari.

I am about to put down a deposit for next year, so please hurry up with your checks!

Posts: 68614 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Bobby - good show bringing Jon's integrity to light.

Jon - good form in following thru.

Both you guys displayed the dignity and honor we want the non-gunny world to see. The money and its use weren't the issue, and I hope this post helps to steer the discussion back to its original premise.

Take a bow

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby, to keep or return the money is your call. I did not even bother to read most of the matchking thread as it was getting utterly goofy.

If I felt sufficiently insulted, I would keep it. I was just impressed that he sent it in spite of the disagreement. There are several members of our august group who, I believe, are strangers to integrity and honor.

That said, I fear I have already over-stepped my bounds by injecting ANYTHING into what was a private disagreement. Sometimes my typing fingers get ahead of my little brain and I ask your pardon if I have muddied already murky water.

I can only close this by urging you NOT to send the check to Longbob. He is a rascle of the first order and will not even LOAN me his 35 Whelen. [Mad] If fact, he won't even tell me where he lives for fear I will steal it!

Just you wait, Longbob! Every dog has his day. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
John A you are an honorable hombre! All I can say further is that, had I won the $, I think I would have used it for some HUNTING bullets!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Pecos-
Bad news on the Whelen. He is selling it to me for the $100....

Kidding, of course....

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhntr-
Yea, I thought about more bullets, but then again, when I looked into my reloading room, I decided I'd better not. (And there are VERY FEW MKs in there compared to everything else!)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad you got the check, Bobby.

Now you guys see why I'm not usually a betting man--I'm lousy at it! Sheesh, I should have qualified that challenge just a little bit.... Oops.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon,
I have a lot of respect for a guy who holds to his word.Have seen lots of internet bets that when lost,the better bailed or came up with the old "you're cheating" excuse.

BTW,checked out your website.Those targets will come in handy.Checked out your home page-you have a beatiful family.I'm sure you're proud of them.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brian.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Saeed

Have you ever been tempted to make a bet with Waltherhog. The one who is wrong has to pay the Safari. I guess Walther would be keen getting there on your expence [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
If "someone" is not willing to go with you on safari contact me [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

If there is anyone who feel that money is a burden send it to me. I will spend it most wisely on guns, bullets, brass and hunting [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Cheers
/ JOHAN