Find
Notify
Tools

Dynamite
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
From email:

And you thought this could only happen in Minnesota or Alberta!

Two hunters from Michigan--(true story) This is from a local radio program, a true report of an incident in Michigan:

A guy purchased a brand new Lincoln Navigator for $42,500 and has $560 monthly payments. He and a friend went duck hunting in winter, and of course all the lakes are frozen. These two guys went out on the lake with guns, a dog, and of course the new vehicle.

They drove out onto the lake ice and, get ready, want to make some kind of a natural landing area for the ducks, something for the decoys to float on. In order to make a hole large enough to look like something a wandering duck would fly down and land on, it was going to take a little more effort than an ice drill.

Out of the back of the new Navigator came a stick of dynamite with a short, 40-second fuse. Now these two rocket scientists do not take into consideration that they want to place the stick of dynamite on the ice at a location far from where they are standing (and the new Navigator), because they don't want to take the risk of slipping on the ice when running from the burning fuse.

They lit the 40-second fuse and threw the dynamite. Remember, a couple of paragraphs back when I mentioned the vehicle, the gun and the dog? Let's talk about the dog: a highly trained Black Lab used for RETRIEVING things. Especially things thrown by the owner.

You guessed it, the dog took off at a high rate of doggy speed on the ice and captured the stick of dynamite with the burning 40-second fuse, just about the same time the dynamite hit the ice. The two men yelled, screamed, waved their arms and wondered what to do next. The dog was cheered up by the applause and kept coming. One of the guys grabbed the shotgun and shot the dog. The shotgun was loaded with birdshot, hardly big enough to stop the Black Lab. The dog stopped for a moment, slightly confused, and continued on. Another shot and this time the dog became really confused, and of course terrified, thinking these two geniuses have gone insane.

The dog took off to find cover. Under the brand new Navigator. ----BOOM!---- Dog and Navigator are blown to bits and sank to the bottom of the lake into a very large hole, leaving the two idiots standing there with an "I can't believe this happened," look on their faces.

The insurance company said that sinking a vehicle in a lake by illegal use of explosives is not covered. The owner still had yet to make the first of his $560 a month payments!

Good thing we can laugh at ourselves, eh?

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
This one made the rounds a few years ago, only I think it was a Ford Explorer.

Now here is a really true story, as told by my father in law. He grew up on a farm in Bismark, North Dakota and they would have trouble with stray dogs and cats. Once they had a stray dog that wouldn't leave, so a hired hand said he knew how to get rid of it, and actually tied a stick of dynamite to the dogs tail. Well of course once it was lit the dog took off- and ran under the milking shed!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buddy of mine had the same kinda story. He and a friend, age about 12. His "big stuff" buddy with a smoke in his hands tossed some turpentine up a dog's ass. Turps lit, dog ran under the barn.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
Yep, was a ford explorer in the original story.
We've had a story about someones Uncle out here who had a rabbit problem. His dog catches a rabbit and the tie a stick on Dynamite to it's back and let it go/ They are assuming that it will run down it's burrow and send the Rabbit clan to the big lettuce patch in the sky.
The rabbit supposedly sought refuge under their land cruiser instead.

Urban Myth I'm thinking.

<X-Ring>
posted
This is a urban legend. I checked it out about three years ago, and it came up as a false story "urban legend"
I first heard it as a Jeep Cherrokee
FWIW X-Ring

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who cares as long as you chuckle? Matter of fact, proving something wrong is about as tough as gettin' laid wearin' NRA colours at Greenpeace head office.

<JOHAN>
posted
Well Fun story

It's one of thoose sories you will always hear like the rat in the pizza.

I have playd alot with Mr. Alfred Nobles swedish cigarrs. I liked swedish cigarrs as a kid, but my Dad did not enjoy seeing the neighbours pines take of like ICBM from the woods.

To mention it a buddy of mine sank a band wagon in the militairy on a frozen lake, but they recoverd it. Driving on ice is not good unless you are prepared to loose the ride.

Do we have any more great stories?? Flatter me with your bull.

[This message has been edited by JOHAN (edited 01-27-2002).]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHAN:
Well Fun story

It's one of thoose sories you will always hear like the rat in the pizza.

I have playd alot with Mr. Alfred Nobles swedish cigarrs. I liked swedish cigarrs as a kid, but my Dad did not enjoy seeing the neighbours pines take of like ICBM from the woods.

To mention it a buddy of mine sank a band wagon in the militairy on a frozen lake, but they recoverd it. Driving on ice is not good unless you are prepared to loose the ride.

Do we have any more great stories?? Flatter me with your bull.

[This message has been edited by JOHAN (edited 01-27-2002).]

Like gettin laid as per above?

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was a boy during WWII, my grandfather was clearing lnd of old pine stumps using dynamite. My Uncle Murray was helping aaand after they sug out the roots except for the last bit my grandfather laid the charge and was ready to light the fuse. My uncle proclaimed "I'm gonna ride this stump out" and proceed to sit on it as my grandfather lit the fuse. My grandfather's comment was "Murray, you fool" as he sat atop the stump powered by a lit stick of dynamite.
Well, just as the fuse burned down he jumped off and ran like mad diving headlong as the blast went off. The stump rose 3 or 4 feet and dirt showered everybody. My uncle laughed like mad and my grandfather shook his head.
Soon after that he put off such boyish things and learned to use explosives to close Japanese caves on Okinawa. He never talked about that though. I guess it wasn't that much fun.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
I was helping my Dad blow stumps back in the 50's. His method involved setting several charges, then lighting them all while walking to cover. We had set a very large charge (had found two boxes of rock dyno turned to gel in the box, base charged with them followed be normal charge) as #1, then set about 6 more normal. I lit half and Dad light half. My Buddy (border collie) was nosing close to #1 when it went, then ran to me, which happened to be the sequence the charges were lit in also. Poor dog made it thru but every shot sent him rolling. He never would go with us stump blowing after that, go figure! I know this one is true.

------------------
Good Shooting!

BTW, #1 stump was reduced to kindling size at max, found pieces over 3/8 mile away. It was a very large (3 ft dia) very deep stump. Dad wasn't sure the gel would go, it did go right well.

[This message has been edited by 8MM OR MORE (edited 01-27-2002).]

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote