New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rufous' WA bear 04
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been out several times this fall after bear. Every time I have been out except one I have seen bear. A couple times it was a sow with cubs and other times the bear was much too far away. Well this last Sunday evening I went out again for a hunt. I headed out on my own and at 5:30 saw a bear. I watched it for about 10 minutes as it fed behind a tree, waiting for it to come out into the open and give me a shot. Finally it did and I fired. It ran to the left and jumped up on a fallen tree. I fired again and knocked it to the ground. It took me about 45 minutes to get around to it on the other side of the canyon. I discovered that I hit it with both shots. It made it into some timber though and it was getting dark so out came the headlamp and the butchering began at 6:30. 9 pm came and I was headed up the hill with 100# on my back (between the meat and my other gear in my pack and my rifle). It was a 230# sow that was 64" nose to tail. My smallest of 5 bears but well worth shooting as I now have 50# of prime burger and sausage in the freezer.

Take a look at this link for a picture of the bear.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB5&Number=352672&Searchpage=1&Main=352289&Words=+bearhuntr&topic=&Search=true#Post352672
Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice bear! Would you like for me to post the photo here for you? That way you can take the link out and the thread can be viewed at a normal size.

Posts: 19240 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann, that would be great. Thanks, Rufous

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
OK, here it is!

Very nice bear.

Posts: 19240 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote