THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    When did Wild Sheep Foundation move to Montana

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did Wild Sheep Foundation move to Montana
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Never noticed this until recently, what was the thought behind that?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2016 I believe. THey still have an office in Cody.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://helenair.com/news/local...ff-1e47f0a7ae41.html

Wild Sheep Foundation moving headquarters to Montana

TOM KUGLIN Independent Record Jul 22, 2015

Montana can soon add the Wild Sheep Foundation to the list of hunting conservation organizations headquartered in Montana.

The foundation announced recently that it will relocate from Cody, Wyoming, to Bozeman in the spring of 2016, with an executive team already in Montana as of July 1. The decision came after evaluating 11 mid-sized cities including Reno, Nevada, Fort Collins, Colorado, and Missoula. Factors leading to Bozeman’s selection include proximity and relationship with Montana State University, the fast-growing economy and number of outdoor oriented businesses and access via road and air, according to a press release.

“Bozeman is really becoming an outdoor mecca, and one of the big factors when we were looking at those 11 cities is it had to be a sheep state,” said Gray Thornton, foundation president and CEO.

Bozeman is home to several outdoor gear manufacturers, a philanthropic community interested in wildlife conservation, and Montana is already home base for several hunting conservation organizations sharing similar goals, he said. The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Boone and Crockett Club and Backcountry Hunters and Anglers headquarter in Missoula, which contributed to the decision to locate in Bozeman where there are not the established organizations, he added.

“A huge positive for us is MSU – we’ve got a scholarship there for sheep biologists,” Thornton said. “We also looked at relationships with state agencies – we’ve got a phenomenal relationship with FWP, and a great Montana (foundation) chapter that are really looking forward to having us there.”

The official move will occur in April and May of 2016 to the new headquarters in the Four Corners area of Bozeman, at 412 Pronghorn Trail.

The foundation includes more than 6,000 members with the mission of “Put and Keep Sheep on the Mountain”. The organization advocates for conservation and habitat for bighorn, desert bighorn, Stone and Dall sheep from Mexico to Alaska. Since lows in the 1950s to 1970s, wild sheep numbers have climbed from 25,000 to 80,0000, the press release said.

By far the greatest threat to wild sheep is from contact with domestic sheep and goats that can transmit disease. Education and research into the pathogens that have devastated several herds is the chief priority, Thornton said. Once in the herd, a small population seems to persist but suffers low lamb recruitment and never rebounds to population potentials, he said.

Along with funding for research and educating both hobby and commercial sheep producers, the foundation plans to launch a “bighorn lamb-safe” initiative. The initiative mirrors dolphin-safe tuna, where the Wild Sheep Foundation would certify producers with a stamp of approval for keeping wild sheep safe from domestics.

Wild sheep also face some habitat problems, with fire suppression causing conifer encroachment in the open slopes sheep prefer, Thornton said. Safe habitat is also at a premium in many areas.

“The issue with finding habitat primarily is finding safe places to put sheep with no existing disease issues or proximity to domestics,” he said.

Oil and gas development and mining are also encroaching on Stone and Dall habitat in Canada, Thornton added.

“(Wild sheep) are iconic and indicator species, so when they’re doing well everything’s doing well,” he said.

Reporter Tom Kuglin can be reached at 447-4076 or tom.kuglin@helenair.com

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9500 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I went to their "Grand Opening" at their new building last spring. It was a good get together.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have a great building in Bozeman and the secretary gave me and my buddy a nice tour of the facility last Fall on our way up to ID to scout for moose.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I kind of quit the group when thornton took over, though Dennis Campbell is more of a tool.

Had been through the Cody shop about 10-15 times when I was home on leave with the military. It was great.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Cool, will have to check it out when I’m there

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote