Find
Notify
Tools

Heading West!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Smiler The time is near for me to try my luck on speed goats.

I am driving from Michigan to northeastern Montana and then down through Yellowstone and Grand Teton to Pinedale. Have an opportunity for antelope in both states (YEAH!). Taking fly gear as well. Hope the trout are biting.

I'm outta here on October 8th. Not really looking forward to the long drive each way so I hope to see a few sights to break it up. Any suggestions? I am going US-2 all the way to Montana and then it looks like getting to I-80 for the trip home.

~Ann

Posts: 19545 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Not so much a suggestion on the sights between MI and MT, but last month when I drove from Boise to San Diego straight through (16 hours) I listened to the audio book "The Killer Angels" civil war story (15.5 hours long). It made the drive go by quickly.

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Ann,

First elephants then antelope! I'm green with envy.

I drive from MT to Michigan quite a bit (in laws live in Cadillac). The US-2 drive is a killer, especially through the U.P. and upstate Minn and Wi. I don't plan on doing it again unless I've got time to kill, then it would be fun. Its WAY quicker to do the I80 route through Iowa, then go up to Sioux Falls, then across I90. If you want to save even more time, take 212 from Belle Forche, SD, through SE Montana. If you're speed goat hunt is in NE Montana, 600 district, instead of SE Montana, 700 district, then your best bet is to take I94 and wind up in Glendive, then go North.

We do the drive in 2 days, staying in Iowa on the way East and in Mitchell (yes, Cabelas) or Rapid City if we're really trucking on the way West. It's a long stinking drive!

I'll be out in the 700 district with my daughter for opening day on the 9th, can't wait! Good luck.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mt Al, Hmm ya got me thinking... I will look into the I-94 route further. I don't want to delay things any more than necessary. Going through the UP is scenic but typically S L O W. What's the best way through Chi-Town?

Cane... Way cool idea on passing time!!! I will try and find something like that. Anyone know if there are any AFRICAN hunting books on tape or CD? Smiler

Once again A-R is a valuable hunter's resource!

~Ann

Posts: 19545 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mt Al, don't be too green, at least you LIVE west of the Miss. thumb

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann,

Have fun!! You'll love antelope hunting!

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann-this is The time of year to be fishing, I was down on the Madison yesterday and it looked awesome! Plus not many people out hitting the river now. All the "river runs thru it" people have left for the year.

I live in Bozeman, most likely right in your path. PM me if you're traveling thru and wanna see about a cup of coffee. Also my wife runs the Fairfield Inn here so if you need a room I can get you hooked up with her.

Have a super trip, right now the color is here and it is totally awesome out there!

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Ann,

We always just keep south. On a map you'll see that, after you drive through Flint, Lansing, Kalamazoo, etc, you'll be coming down I94 on the East side of the Lake through Stevensville (wife's home town!) before you get to Indiana. Keep on I94 until just after Portage, Indiana, then switch over to I80, it will take you away from the Chicago madness.

If you're hunt is in NE Montana, I'd just deal with the chicago traffic and keep on I94 all the way.

Hope you have a great time on the plains. For us state-bound hunters there's nothing as fun as hunting antelope. Its also the best meat, IMHO, as long as you get your critter cooled out quickly and put in the shade. Some people skin them right away, which is fine if you've got a clean place to hang them. I'm always a few miles from the car and quarter/bone and pack them out. It cools the meat very quickly, but its tough to keep it clean. Bring a shotgun and try for a sage grouse, can almost guarantee that we'll not be able to hunt them in a few years.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The buffalo Bill Museum is in Cody WY.
If you have the time it is worth a look.
Also the Grizzly/Wolf center in the town of West Yellowstone.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Ann,

If you have any time at all while in Jackson, lets hook up even if its just for a drink or lunch. Or, if you you have time, we can take the horses into the hills for a ride, or the drift boat out for a day of fising. And, if you need a place to stay overnight, my wife and I have a spare bedroom.

Mi casa es su casa.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann: Two recommendations for you - #1: Stay at the Elk Refuge Inn just north (2 miles) of Jackson, Wyoming there in Jackson! The Elk won't be there but its relatively inexpensive and has a wonderful view of the Elk Refuge itself! This stay is in preperation for your mid-winter visit when you return for a couple of days when the 15,000 Elk and 20 Wolves will be in all their glory there in the valley! This mid-winter trip to Jackson Hole is MANDATORY for any sporting or outdoor enthusiast!
Also keep your eye out for Bighorn Sheep, Moose, Buffalo and Mule Deer they should be around the valley in October!
Tip #2: Eat at "Bubbas" for breakfast while in Jackson! Do not miss out on this even if you are just travelling through. If you stay a day in this beautiful place then be sure and eat lunch at "Bubbas"! And for dinner do not miss out on "Bubbas" wonderful dinners!
At breakfast time be aware of the local or insider deal called the "Workmans Special" breakfast! Its not on the menu as its a local thing. Be prepared for a breakfast feast and its reasonably priced! Be sure and "STEAL" a Bubbas Restaraunt coffee cup (its another local tradition!) or you can chicken out and buy some cups - like I did! They are great cups!
Good luck on your Hunt! I went through Pinedale twice this spring and its beautiful Antelope country (and points further south)! Wyoming seemed to have a bumper crop of Antelope this year for sure!
Yes the Museums in Cody, Wyoming are worth taking an extra DAY to see!
I would also consider a ski tram ride from the valley floor of Jackson Hole up to the top of the ski mountain for an unbelievable view of the Grand Tetons!
Have fun - drive careful!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Smiler The time is near for me to try my luck on speed goats.

I used to stay at the Triangle F lodge in Bondurant WY when I got tired of sleeping in creek beds, least expensive at the time and nice people. It had new owners last I knew and I don't know how much it is now or if it's even still open. There were a lot of new houses built between there and Pinedale, so the neighborhood may have changed.

The Farson Mercantile is a fine little stop for ice cream ( 2 scoops for a dollar last time I was there ).

Theodore Roosevelt National Park is worth a look, if you go that way...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14590 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tip #2: Eat at "Bubbas" for breakfast while in Jackson!

The Gun Barrel is great place to eat if you're feeling like splurging a little bit. Great Elk steak.

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's the best way through Chi-Town?

Take the Skyway (toll road) through Gary and then just go straight through Chicago. Just time your drive so you miss rush hours and it's no big deal. I would suggest not pulling off for gas or a bathroom break anywhere on the South side. Have a great trip.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Ann, Use the drive as a way to unwind on the way to the hunt and get in a relaxation mode.
I love long drives by myself. Two summers ago I drove from Bakersfield to Central Ohio by myself and loved every minute of it, except being stopped and searched in Oklahoma for going 72 in a 70 zone. I stayed there three days and drove right back and enjoyed that also. It's amazing how far you can go by yourself and how much thinking that you can do on the road.

I left Bainbridge, Ohio Friday morning stopped for 8 hours in Amarillo Texas and was in Bakersfield, CA before midnight on Saturday night.

Enjoy it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While in Jackson, Jed's for breakfast, Bubba's for lunch, and Dornan's (in Moose) for dinner (can sit on the roof and drink beer while the sun sets behind the Teton's).

If you get a chance, I would DEFINATELY stop at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody and look at the Draper Museum. It is world class.

Enjoy your hunt!!!

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! You guys are great, I will be PM'ing some of you very soon for some more info.

I am trying to pare down what equipment to bring. Here's the haul so far:

Shotgun in case bird hunting becomes available

Tons of fly gear

Tent and other camping gear in case I am stuck in the ditch somewhere

Muzzleloader, rifle or bow for antelope. I am not sure which will work best but I am gonna bring them ALL!

Rifle and muzzleloader got sighted in at the range last night. I had a"blast" with the smoke pole. It's "right on"!

The nice thing is I can pack what I want and not worry about some airline telling me I have too much stuff. Razzer Just wish gas prices would drop. Mad

~Ann