New
Find
Notify
Tools

rifle ranges
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know of a rifle range in the Dallas,Tx area which allows shooting from field positions rather than chained to a bench shooting through a piece of culvert? Needs to be fairly close as we usually allow one day in Dallas to pick up our rifles, etc.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stay away from Elm Fork Shooting park in Dallas. They make you shoot through a pipe.

Try Garland Public Shooting Range. They let me shoot standing and sticks would be OK. Prone or sitting would be difficult due to the benches. They also let me set up my chronograph. The only time it might be difficult is right before deer season when they get real crowded.

http://www.eaglepeakshootingrange.com/gpsr/gpsr.htm

Posts: 308 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Through a pipe? never heard of such a thing.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shooting thru a pipe is the latest thing in liability. prevents bullets from leaving the range and controls noise

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stay away from the Alpine Range in Ft. Worth. That place makes me mad every time I go. Now I go out and shoot with Ashley Emerson on his place...much better.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of beams
posted Hide Post
I agree with DrScott. The guys at Garland are pretty reasonable with those types of requests, especially when it is not busy.
I have shot standing and off sticks.
Unfortunately the number of places to shoot seems to be decreasing. I know we just had two ranges close in the north part of the metroplex. Victims of the urban sprawl.

Posts: 38 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 06 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooting through a pipe? bet it's hard to keep the tobacco in it!!Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Shooting through a pipe? bet it's hard to keep the tobacco in it!!Smiler
animal

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ranges are dying through the country. we built a new one in 2000 & 2001, but to do so we ended up in court 8 times. you wouldn't believe the anti's and the B.S. they they would bring up. A gunshop here ended up with the "pipe" which is about a 3' diameter culvert running from the firing line about 100' downrange. it was the only way he could guarantee the B.S. people that the bullets would stay on the range. If it wouldn't have been for a guy name of david gross, who was on the NRA board for awhile, donating his time we never would have gotten a new range. In fact the silver lining in the cloud was that a couple years latter we were used as the example of why the state needed a range protection act, which was passed and now the commissioner of the dept of natural resources has the say over ranges not local govt and the B.S. artists.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote