New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wy DIY Antelope Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to do my first Wyoming DIY antelope hunt, I will be driving from Oklahoma City. If any of you Wyoming people wouldn't mind helping out a Okie telling me a good area with public access ( walk in or drive in) that would be great!!

Please email rstanich @arinc.com or PM.

Thanks a bunch

Don't let your fears get in the way of your dreams

Posts: 143 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The BLM has land access maps showing private land, the state game and fish will tell you areas that have lots of BLM land.

Beyond that no one is going to show you their own mecca.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What area did you draw?? Then you can get maps for the area. G&F good place for info,as already mentioned.

Posts: 11 | Location: Casper Wyoming | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep this in mind- the more difficult areas to draw have the best access and best bucks (Red Desert). Areas that are easy to draw are primarily private land. Try calling the chamber of commerce in towns like Douglas, Casper and Gillette. Sometimes you can get a lead on a rancher that doesn't particularly like antelope, or charge a reasonable trespass fee. There is BLM mixed in all over the state, but I wouldn't count on it east of I-25.
Try some hotels/motels also. If you contact them now, they may be able to give you a heads up on some ranches as well- as long as you let them know you intend to stay there if you can find a place to hunt. If you wait until after you draw, rooms could be booked already.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Metaltiger

I haven't put in as of yet

Len Hawkins

Thank you for the great ideas I will stat making a few calls

Posts: 143 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The further west you go the more access, (public land) you have. Rawlins area, and north. THe application booklet tells what percentage is public. 1/2 of Wyoming is public land, but in some places private and public are mixed. BLM maps help. If you don't have any preference points it might be hard to draw areas with lots of public land until you get a point or two. With out points you might have to hunt further east and gain access to a private ranch. With the point system it gets more complcated.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the help