THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Is there good exotic hunting in Florida?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there good exotic hunting in Florida?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My hunting buddy's son (also a hunter) was just married to a non-hunter. She isn't anti-hunting, just has had no exposure to it. They moved to the Orlando area. I am looking for a place within a couple of hour drive where she can get a positive, legitimate introduction to hunting.

I would like her to see a variety of animals, see how trophy heads are evaluated, sit in a stand and do some spot-and-stalk hunting, see basic skills used like tracking, wind and scent direction, etc. Along the way, the son, who has never hunted exotics or with an outfitter, could take a trophy or two. I'd like some flexibility to vary the plan according to how the son and daughter-in-law enjoy things. Of course, this also depends on the kind of hunting that works.

I don't want a first experience like we often get in PA where a new hunter might spend all day in the cold and see only a couple of deer. I also don't want these animals acting like they just came out of a petting zoo. There are bound to be fences, but I don't want to feel like we are hunting in a small enclosure.

I know there are outfits in Texas that can give this experience. My impression of Florida is most operations will be on smaller parcels. Can anyone suggest an outfitter? Any other ideas are also welcome.

Conewago

Posts: 121 | Location: Reading, PA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a a huge axis deer/ boar ranch down there some where, my son hunted on it a few years back. If I can find the name I will post it. Do a search on exoctics in Florida.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
The problem that I have seen with exotics in some of the ranches in Texas, are that for the same price you could shoot a 5 animal package in Africa

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1378 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Brady Ranch. Friends of mine have gone there and speak well of it. LOTS of axis deer.

http://www.bradyranch.com/

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Brady Ranch is reported to have the largest herd of Axis in the country. They also have several other species of exotics.

There are other ranches in central Florida as well. A few minutes on the www-machine will yield the names of these operations.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brady Ranch.

That's it!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen thank you for your input on the Brady Ranch. It looks like the sort of operation I had in mind. I have found other candidates on the internet. Examples are Lightsey Cattle Company's Brahma Island and Ross Hammock Ranch. I would appreciate input on them as well.

Marius - your point about trophy fees is noted, but the location of this first hunt must be convenient to central Florida. If this adventure goes well, there may be a time when the young couple considers an African hunt. Do you contribute to this forum with hunts listed in the outfitter's section?

Conewago

Posts: 121 | Location: Reading, PA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I would suggest checking out J&R Outfitters in Indiantown, FL.....I've talked to several people who have hunted there and they had great things to say about it.

http://www.jroutfitters.com/

I plan on doing a Water Buffalo hunt there as soon as I can afford it.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote