posted
Remington 700
Browning A-Bolt
Ruger 77
CZ-550
Winchester pre 64 model 70
Sako?
Savage 110

Which do you like and why? I'm sorta shopping for another bolt gun and was looking for why other people chose thiers.

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like rifles but some are preferred over others.

The Remington 700 is an old design that gives up too much in what a man likes in fine machinery.

The Brownings are made in anti gun japan so I won't pick one up. Good or bad is not the point. They are disqualified.

Ruger 77-2's are decent rifles. The trigger needs replacing or surgury. The M 70's have the best triggers.

Pre 64 M 70's and post 64 Classics are my favorite large action rifles. I have plenty of them. One is not shooting well so I am restocking it.

CZ's might be a good value but I prefer American products. Years ago I might have bought one. I have been upgrading so they are not on the list.

Sako's are well made rifles. I have one. Don't think I will buy another. See "Kimber" below.

The Savage 110 series is where Remington was a half century ago. There is a demand for such a product. They are not good looking to my taste. Thus I have no room for one.

Weatherby is one that I have avoided. Somehow I do not associate with the celebrities that Roy courted. This may not be a good reason to you but it is to me. The current "Lightweight" design with the fluted barrel is striking in apearance and the action is stamped "made in the USA". I don't like that action design. The Kimber costs less in any case.

Kimber makes lightweight rifles and I wanted some. They got me quite far to my goal for only $800. This is where I am putting my sporting rifle money at the moment.

There are others such as the Tika, Howa and the Walmart versions of the above.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Pre-64 Mod. 70--I have owned 26 of them in 36 yrs, have 10 now and two actions to build on. I have used these in the roughest conditions in wilderness B.C. and Alberta and NEVER had the slightest problem with any of them; I also find that they will shoot Partition bullets into tiny groups consistently. One of the finest rifles ever made and I would never be without one.

2. CZ-550--I consider this to be the best rifle on today's new market when price is taken into account. You can finetune these into a hell of a hunting rifle. I have owned and used 10 Brno centerfire rifles and presently have 2 ZG-47s and 2 20 series small rings, these are superb rifles and the CZ is a worthy successor.

3. Ruger 77--can use some tweaking, but, I have owned and used 2 .30-06s, 2 7 Mags. 2 .338s and a MkII Mag.-.375, they all worked as do the other Rugers I have owned and used. These are not the equal of old 70s, IMO, but, they do the job.

The Sakos are over-priced and none of the others appeal to me, I prefer CRF rifles for hunting and self-defence while working in bear country.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
1. Model 70 Classics& pre 64's if you can find them.
2. Next purchase will probably be a Kimber 84M
3. Rugers. Yeah I've heard the bashing but I've gotten some that were fine out of the box. The one problem child was cured with some TLC and still I have less money in it than any Remington.
4. Toss up, I have a mix but have kept each of them for a reason. One is a brand new .280 Tikka I won in a drawing and have yet to fire. It is a synthetic and seems a good mountain rifle. But I keep dragging my model 70 out.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For Big Game:

Winchester Model 70's
and
CZ's 550 Safari Magnum.

EKM

Posts: 289 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Off the shelf rifles of today:
Remington-junk, get an old one if you want one
Winchester-junk, get a pre 64
Ruger-OK with a bit of work, prefer the Tang style old ones
CZ-haven't owned one, but looks like a good buy for the money
Weatherby-Too much money for what you get
Sako-a very nice rifle, but costs too much
Tikka-good rifle, only complaint is the plastic magazine

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
pre 64 model 70
Sig SHR970
Browning A-Bolt
Tikka
Rem 700

Posts: 12 | Location: Deering N.H. | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1st would be Remington 700, then remington 700, then remington 700, last but not least remington 700. I guess if i went to africa i would have to break down and buy a pre64 (ackkk).

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
It's kinda funny, I was thinking about this while going through the safe and checking to ensure no rust present. What I LIKE and what I SHOOT are not necessarily the same.

My primary hunting rifle is a Browning A-Bolt in 338. Can't imagine ever getting rid of it. I traded a blued M70 in the same caliber for this gun.

I own a half dozen M70 - 3 pre 64, 1 classic and 2 that are push feeds. I don't shoot the pre64s much, and have used the push feed model to take deer and antelope. The classic is my .375 H&H for all Africa trips.

I also shoot a Kimber 84C in .223 for target practice and varmits.

I would like a few more pre64 M70, another Kimber, an Anshutz .22 and a Tikka after shooting my friends this week and working the action.

Can't see myself with a Remington (no more push feeds needed), Savage (plain jane looks),
Sako (Tikka is better buy), CZ (thick pistol grip stock doesn't feel right) or Ruger (don't like Bill).

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I like the design of the Model 98 mauser action, and hence it's modern varients. My first choice is a customized M-98 mauser.

The Win mdl 70 has what I consider some of the best modifications of the basic mdl 98 design, in regards to the trigger and safety. Trouble is their quality is off and on, if you find a sound one, it would be my top choice.

The ruger M-77 mkII is IMHO the most hunting gun for the money today. Fit and finish aren't perfect, but for a solid hunting gun out of the box, you'll have to spend more, and won't get much more gun.

The CZ's are fine rifles, and available in many chamberingst that the big makers don't offer. If I ever decided I just had to have a 9.3X62, it would be a full stocked CZ-550.

I would not consider putting any of the other choices in my gun safe. We each have the right to our own opinions, and in mine, life is too short to choose rifle actions that compromise design for ease of manufacturing and profits.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree with paul H. Mauser was the first and is still the best IMHO. Everything else is a variant of Paul Mauser's idea.(Excepting straight pulls but its not like they are beating up the market.)

If you wanna lay it all on the line, a customized mauser is not a bad way to go. That being said, I appreciate Savages, like Rugers, and have a soft spot in my heart for Model 70 featherweights.

Doesn't really matter what you shoot as long as you shoot it well.

swede

Posts: 44 | Location: North Central ND | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted

Mauser 98's
Brno ZG 47
Brno m-21
Ed Brown 702

Win pre 64, made before 1962 will do

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
In the safe right now,

3 JC Higgins, 2 30-06's, 1 270
1 Pre-War Model 70, 30-06
1 SS Classic Mod 70, 338 WM
1 FN Supreme, 30-06
1 Howa Heavey Barrel, 223

The 3 JC Higgins, the Supreme and the Pre War all are a cut above anything else I've owned. In fact, I've sold off all but the Model 70 Classic. I like the Classic, it shoots well, but it isn't near the gun the Pre War is. When I want to compare a new guns quality, I compare it to the FN Supreme, or to the Pre-War Model 70. Both guns function perfectly, and the fit and finish is outstanding, especially on the Supreme. All 3 of the JC Higgins, built on FN actions, shoot excellent and function perfectly. The 270 is the most accurate hunting rifle I own. It is a joy to cycle cartridges through the FN actions. If I was to buy a new gun today, it would be a CZ 550 American. They seem to come the closest to these rifles.

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
I have:

2x Win M70 Classics - .300 H&H, .416 Rem
Springfield '03 - .338 Win
Wby Vangaurd - .257 Wby

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote