New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berger Bullets fr Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Talked with a rep at Berger last week. Asked him about hunting big game with a 7mm RM 168 VLD bullet. I was told about an elk that was taken at over 700 yards with Berger bullet and that this bullet was fine for big game. I would like some input from some of you guys on this.
THANKS Jerry

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Do a search on these bullets for hunting...it's like the Sierra Match Kings and hunting.

Here's the thing, these guys at Berger make match grade bullets for paper punching. Then John Burns decides to try these bullets AFTER he makes this video series of hunts called Beyond Belief, where he uses Barnes bullets and Swift Sciroccos, 150 grainers in a 7mm Wildcat cartridge that is almost a clone of the 7 STW.

Somewhere along the line, he tries these Bergers on game and finds that they do indeed kill game at long range and they are very accurate.

Now here's the catch: Berger is his sponsor, and the misinformation that is being put out is that all of the kills on "Beyond Belief" were with Berger bullets. According to those at "The Best of the West" that I spoke with, Mr. Burns hadn't quite finished his 'testing' of the Bergers even by the time the video was completed. SOOOO, (and I'm not making promises here), I concluded that Berger just happened to use the video (which is in all the gunrags now) as advertising that their bullets are indeed suited for hunting and they reference this TV show and video as proof.

I made many calls, emails, etc. and with the timelines given to me, it is really false advertising on Berger's part with respect to the video.

Having said that, know this, there are other shooting forums that are spinoffs of AR and others due to such topics as match bullets for hunting. There are those that like them, and many here on AR strongly disagree with this concept and the long range hunting topic as a whole...to many, long range hunting is really, 'long range killing/shooting via luck.' So those followers of the shooting art at long range start up their own forums and discuss their topics there.

The fact is, it's a topic like the use of synthetic lubricants in a vehicle. You won't change the minds of those who are already on a side. Dinosaur oil, or synthetics.

Many have used match bullets for hunting and have never had a problem. I personally have taken some whitetails with match bullets and had a friend lose a great buck in MO because he had some 180 SMKs loaded up for his 30.06. Several of us saw the hit, saw the blood trail (or should I say, spot trail), but never found this magnificent trophy. I would rather use a Btip because it is an accurate bullet, and I've seen what a 150 will do to a deer from a 270 at just over 500 yards.

The gain from match quality bullets is if you plan on LONG range hunting/shooting (another debated topic)--better BCs, better retained energy, etc.

If I were you, I'd consider a more practical solution like using Wildcat bullets from Alberta, Canada. This is a match bullet equivolant, with long ogive, and some have ultra low drag rebated boat tails, with very high BCs, AND, they are HUNTING bullets! Best of both worlds. Here is a pic of a 169.5 Wildcat, .277 caliber, for my ultramag, compared to a 150 Btip:

BUT, you wouldn't want to use this bullet in a standard 1-10 twist. Same goes for any wildcat bullet, heavy for caliber in 7mm. I'd stick with the standard weights for the 1-9" twist range.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doc for a "fine" reply. This is why I make Accuratereloading Forum my main source for info.
Jerry

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
You're welcome. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have aslo used the Wildcats for hunting, and killed a 320 yd. deer last season with his 7mm 200 gr. out of an XP-100 handgun in 7-270 WSM/7 twist Pac-Nor. The animal was hit square in the chest and went only 50 yds. with a quarter-size exit. This bullet has a reported BC >.8. I think i had it at 2540 out of my handgun, and the BC was about right for the downrange drop i was experiencing out of it. I don't think i've seen 1 bad report on his bullets yet, and if u're trying to go LR this is also the bullet i would suggest trying. He's a great guy to talk to on the phone. I think his web site is www.wildcatbullets.com

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc & SScoyote the 200gr Wildcat you are talking about in the 7mm is made with a J4 jacket that Berger makes. Richard said he was thinking of getting some Sierra 30cal jackets to make this bullet but I don not know if he has or not. SS you sent me those bullets to test the bc last year. Those are a J4 jacket for sure. Berger bullets will work. Lots of people are using them. After seeing my 6-284 with the 105gr shoot through a 1/4inch thick piece of steel at 600 yards that was setup to swing I might add. I have no doubts it will bust a deers shoulder and kill it. I am also going to use the 180gr out of my 7mmSTW and 210gr out of my 300 for deer and Elk. In my testing the Bergers are no more fragile then a Sierra GameKing or Hornady Interlock.

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know for a FACT, the 175gr Berger .308 is a game killing machine. May not be to everyones likes but they work very well. I do not like SMKs for hunting.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
There you go jy, some folks with experience right here on AR with the Berger.

I myself have not tried them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you are NOT using there MEF bullet. It will NOT work!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a COOL FORUM.
THANKS to ALL for YOUR REPLYS
Jerry

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, What's MEF?

Posts: 267 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maximum Expansion Factor

Varmint bullets

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote