New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Opinions Please
 Login/Join

<memtb>
posted
I have little to no experiance with Sako rifles. I have an opportunity to purchase a Sako Finbear at, what I believe is a good price. Does the rifle have any inherent problems,is the trigger adjustable, and what accuracy should I expect? Thanks in advance!! -memtb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mem:

Sako has a great reputation, as an accurate shooter and well above average quality firearm.

They also carry a price tage to prove it. There actions are strong and smooth, with Control Round Feed in the bigger calibers.

Finnbear...what caliber, when made and imported if you know, what kind of condition, what is the price?

I have many rifles, but the few Sako's I have are exceptional rifles.

I have a 7MM Mag Finnbear, lil heavy but shoots sub one inch groups, this one is to pretty to hunt with...LOL

Jim P.

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Like PAHunter says, they are a a bit heavy but the weight is in the barrel, where it should be. The most accurate factory rifle I ever owned was a FinnBear in .270. I've had a few in .30-06 and 7 mag and all were shooters. They also have a "3rd Lug" further back on the bolt that some thought was an important feature.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I own and shoot a Sako in .340 Wby, it shoots excellent groups. I have no complaints with the rifle. I just finished working up a load for a buddies .338 Lapua in a Sako, the same goes for it. They both have the black composite stock. The gunsmith that cut off the Lapua stock stated, " this is one of the best composite stocks I have ever worked with ". [Wink] Good shooting.

<memtb>
posted
Thanks guys! I was actually inquiring for a friend. I'am not sure of year but, it's a .375 H&H ( I've got two, don't need another), it has muzzle brake ( not needed, and I hate them ), 3-9 Leupold VX2 ( good choice ), all this for $650.00. I told him to get it, and take the chance on shootability!! I think he's going to make the purchase! Thanks Again -memtb [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Phurley, was that a TRG-S that they cut the stock off of? And if it was, what did you replace it with? - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That price is a steal, even with the highly degrading muzzle brake. Your friend's Finnbear could be an L61R, and AV (five), or an L691 action. Most people would consider the L61R to be the most desirable, but any would still make a fine rifle. They came in both Standard and Deluxe, with the difference averaging about $200 or so on the used market.

Incidentally, the earlier (pre-1972) Sakos had a trimmer and lighter barrel and stock and were generally lighter in overall weight than their contemprary American counterparts. After the Garcia Corporation took over their distribution in 1973 they went to a heavier contour barrel. Only a pre-1972 L61R action will have the third locking lug near the rear of the bolt (a la 98 Mauser).

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Dan -- No, it was not a TGR-S. If I remember correctly the model said "995". Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are pretty much the same thing in the sporter model, Phurley. What kind of stock did you put on and where did you get it from? I ask because the sako stock does not fit me at all, and so far I haven't found any replacements. Thanks, - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan, in what way is the TRG-s stock a poor fit for you? Too long, short, or comb not right? Just curious. I have had four of them and am pretty happy with the stock fit, but that's obviously a highly personal issue.

The recoil lug (actually, groove) looks VERY puny on these, but it has held up nicely under the recoil of a .375 H & H, so I guess Sako knew what they were doing.

Have you seen anyone build a wood stock for one of these? If so, I'd think that it would require a supplemental recoil lug, a la Remington 700, or perhaps attached to the barrel.

I've heard them criticized by some, but they have the slickest bolt I've ever experienced on a gun and all of mine have averaged better in accuracy than similar calibers in conventional Sakos, which is very good, indeed.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Dan -- The Sako rifle that had the stock cut off was not my rifle. It belonged to a buddy, I was just working up a load for him over the summer. He did not replace the stock, he simply had it cut off to fit him with additional cloths on for the cold hunting. I had a custom thumbhole stock replaced on a .358 STA and used an H&S Precision. I couldn't be more pleased with the stock. The thumbhole was gorgeous, but smacked my knuckle at each firing. I notice you are from Edmonton, Alberta. I will be hunting in the Jasper area the first week in December, looking forward to my first Wolfe hunt. [Roll Eyes] [Wink] Good shooting.

[ 10-09-2002, 23:02: Message edited by: phurley ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, I find the comb too high, it slaps me every time I shoot it. As the gun is chambered in 338 Lapua, it's usually a pretty good slap.
Phurley, thank you for the info. I assume you will be east of Jasper (Jasper is in one of the National Parks, no hunting there) for your wolf hunt. There's lot's of them there, and some very nice ones. The area is a couple hours west of where I live. You'll be in the foothills (think Smokey Mountains size), will you be hunting over bait, stalking or a combination? Anyway, It's beautiful country, take a camera and plenty of film. If you have a couple of days, go into Jasper (the Jasper Park Lodge is the best place to stay) and look around. This time of year the elk usually take over the town, they're everywhere. some of them have never been out of the park (it's a BIG park) and are gigantic. Lot's of Royal racks. Have a great hunt and take care. - Dan

<phurley>
posted
Dan -- Thanks for the headsup on the terrain. I think it is a combination bait, stalk, etc. I am looking forward to visiting the area. I toured the Banff-Lake Louise area on a backpacking trip with my daughter, the scenery there was absolutely breathtaking, I am sure Jasper equals that. I also wanted to see Elk Island refuge, some of our Ky Elk came from there. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Phurley, Elk Island is about 40 miles east of where I live. Lot's of elk, moose, and especially bison (wood and plains, about 1800 head altogether). It's an easy place to get to, head out of town (east) on Highway 16, drive until you see the entrance sign, turn left. No charge this time of year. If you want a guided tour and some company drop me a note. I should be in town that week. Take care. - Dan