New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's more important...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When choosing a rifle for a specific hunting application do you consider the configuration or the caliber of the rifle to be more important?

Example: For a rifle for thick cover/woods/brush whitetail hunting would you rather be carrying a lever action .243Win carbine or a bolt action .358Win with a 24" barrel? Conversely, for varmint hunting would you rather have a lever action .22-250 carbine or a bolt action .35 Whelen?

I understand that these examples are extreme and I meant to exagerate, but the idea is that one rifle has the preferable configuration while the other has the preferable cartridge. If you were going to make a compromise from the ideal, would you rather make it in the cartridge or the design of the rifle? Let me get a few responses and I will give a little more background to exactly why I am asking this question.

Thanks,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a bolt action rifle with a 26" barrel for all of my hunting and I take just as much or more game than the majority of hunters.I feel familiarity with ones rifle is more of an advantage than changing between several guns for different conditions.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my type of hunting in Alaska, I chose a rifle that would resist rust, and with enough punch to efficiently kill any Alaska game. I only have and use one big game rifle for all my hunting.

The rifle is a Ruger M77 MK-II, stainless, with a synthetic stock, topped with a Leupold Vary-X III, 2.5-8x. I mostly use 230 to 250-grain bullets, but I also handload a few with 275-grain A-Frame bullets for those times where I may need the biggest punch a close range.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobvthunter:
When choosing a rifle for a specific hunting application do you consider the configuration or the caliber of the rifle to be more important?...

Hey Bob, Between your two choices, I'd pick Caliber ahead of Configuration. But, I actually pick a "Specific Bullet" I want to try as the very first thing and of course that in itself dictates the Caliber.

By Configuration I'd guess you are saying Action type. I've used all of them, and they each have their strengths and weaknesses. Even people with very little experience soon realize that when hunting Non-Dangerous Game, there is seldom a need for more than one shot if the Hunter places the first bullet properly. Due to that, I see no advantage to toting around something with a "claimed" high rate of fire.

Doesn't mean I'm down on doubles, semi-autos, pumps or lever actions at all. If that is what a person wants to use (and it is legal), I'm all for it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cartridge first, configuration second. I agree with Hot Core, and own most of the different action types. IMO it is possible to achieve the requisite accuracy from any action type for hunting although some present challenges that are not practical to resolve. It does no good to have a sub MOA 25-20 when you're looking at a prairie dog 475 yards away, nor does that accuracy help when you're about to become a Happy Meal.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
After decades of climbing the steep hills in VT and looking for game where the visiblity is about 75 yards maybe a little more I select the bullet first that is suited to the game. Of course it must be going fast enough. Large flat nosed bullets are better than small bullets that don't penetrate thru. This covers all situations. There are no compromises.

The most difficult shots are shooting fast at moving game. I have carried heavy long rifles for such hunting for the fun of it. One does not need the internet to find out that they make no sense.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought that after all the tests and the discussions on these boards that everyone knew by now that there are no good brush busting bullets.Large flat nosed bullets are no better at penetrating branches than pointed bullets or even smaller diameter bullets.Extensive testing has shown that all bullets are affected by striking objects and in tests recently published in petersons hunting the bullets affected the least were a pointed .338" bullet and a .223" bullet.The big flat nosed bullets out of a 44 mag did not do well in these tests.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought by now everyone knew that Ferrari's didn't fare well against Kenworth's in head on collisions either. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
Have you ever seen a Kenworth after a head on with a VW? Not much is left that can be called servicable. While the VW is smashed beyond recognition, The Kenworth will be left in a crumpled heap on the side ofthe road also. Now if you want to talk survivability, that is an entire different discussion.