New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom work??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Where do you guys go when you're looking to build a very good quality hunting rifle?

[ 02-06-2003, 21:58: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<S.B. Hooper>
posted
If you want to keep it in Nebraska, go to www.hatchergun.com. Todd Hatcher builds the sniper rifles for the state patrol. He will build anything that you want. He lives near Elsie, Nebraska south of Paxton. I have only had him do a small job for me as I cannot afford custom rifles, but it looks to me like he does as good of work as anyone possibly could.

one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
I really like Hill Country Rifles here in Texas. I had them build my .35 Whelen and they will soon be getting my .375 H&H for some work. I'm sure Greg R will be chiming in here to tell you the same.
http://www.hillcountryrifle.com

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try HS Precision in Northern California at www.hsprecision.com
or Ed Brown Custom Rifles at www.edbrown.com

good luck to you, let us know what you choose...

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd have to agree with Hill Country.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Consider Dakota Arms. They make fine rifles to order and thier proprietary cartridges are well founded. If I had the money for a real custom gun, these are the people I'd turn to.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I call D'Arcy Echols.
(435) 755-6842

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I start with an installed Pac-Nor barrel after I get an action. Then I have McMillian build the stock I want. Then I get somebody to install, or rework, the trigger. Or anything else I might need. Not hard to find folks that can do what's left. E

[ 02-12-2003, 03:37: Message edited by: Eremicus ]

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<chuk>
posted
Whomever you choose, I strongly recommend having a single builder put your rifle togethor. that way he has control over every aspect of the finished product and the parts will function togethor properly. Choose wisely and don't cut corners. Ask for references and let the builder work with you to come up with the reliable hunting rifle you are seeking.

chuck

<HBH>
posted
In addition to Allen's above post I would add Gene Simillion (970) 641 - 1126 hunters that build outstanding hunting rifles crown to pad.

HBH

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nebraska:
Where do you guys go when you're looking to build a very good quality hunting rifle?

You got some pretty good answers above but the question must be ask first, How much do you want to spend? Some will build you an excellent rifle for around $1000 (you supply the action)and some will do it for a lot more. I used this guy to build my first wildcat custom (.257WSM). I'm very happy with it and I'm about to contract him to build another rifle, A 300 H&H on a model 70 action. http://www.skirifles.com/  -  -

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is one gorgeous rifle!!!

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting to see Gene Simillion mentioned. His work is not cheap, but unparalled. Truly beautiful work for those who can afford to appreciate it.

For a gun that will be as accurate as you ever want it to be for hunting, I would contact Kevin Knight at High Performance Gunsmithing in Montana. He is mostly known for his muzzlebrakes (http://www.muzzlebrake.com ), but he offers an accurizing package that will allow you to buy a factory gun and turn it into a real tack driver. Crown, bore lap, trigger work, pillar and glass bedding, proper adjustment of stock screws, the whole works. Price is not to high and the slim line muzzle brakes are really nice.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Consider Match Grade Arms http://www.mgarmsinc.com

or

Rifles Inc. http://www.riflesinc.com/

I have a custom .338 Ultralight from Match Grade and love it.

Posts: 8 | Location: Westfield, MA | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
TC1,
Great looking lumber.

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
If you want a really well done inexpensive rifle try Norm Myers in Rossvile GA, 706-866-4430, all in with shipping about $900 he just built a custom 275 Rigby for me and he supplied all the parts: VZ 24 action, trued, lapped, ground, lowered tang surface and triggerguard contoured, new checkered bolt handle, commercial safety shroud, Douglas 24" barrel with 11 degree crown, Timney trigger, Bell and Carlson Carbelite stock, free floated barrel, glass bedded, Gunkote on all metal, Leupold 2 piece bases. Shoots better than I can and all the work looks extremely well done. I haven't seen any of his wood stocks so can't comment on them although his quoted prices were very reasonable. He could have done it cheaper with a Shaw barrel or more with Lilja etc., I just decided on a middle road. Same with the trigger, I chose the Timney which is pretty good. On the next one I may go with a single set trigger for a little more money, I'm really happy with the Douglas barrel and Carbelite stock and will use the same again.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmm, quite a few riflesmiths out there that may fit your bill. These are listed in no particular order.

John Lewis at Carolina Precision Rifles
Darrel Holland at Holland Custom Rifles
Jim Borden at Borden Rifles
Kenny Jarrett at Jarrett Rifles
Tim McWhorter at McWhorter Custom Rifles
Charlie Sisk and Sisk Rifles
Jeff Hicks at HD Rifles
D'Arcy Echols
David Miller

There are more that I have left off, but that it'll get you started.

True Eyes

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with Hill COuntry Rifles in New Braunfels, TX. 830-609-3139. They make very accurate rifles, and they actually tune them so that they will feed properly no matter how fast you work the bolt. Many people neglect the feeding these days. I have a .308, 7mm Rem, .300 WSM, .375, and .416 by them, and they are about to do a .260 and a .35 Whelan for me.

There are quite a few good rifle guys out there, but I think Hill Country offers a great value and they pay attention to the little things that many others have forgotten. Just my .02.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Myself and a friend go with Greg Tannel @ Gre'-Tan Rifles, Kersey CO (www.gtrtooling.com). He designs benchrest gunsmithing tools, and has several NBRSA 1000 yd. records to his credit. He's also very receptive to the needs of the shooter. If you're looking for an accuracy rig, he's the best I've seen. Dave Kiff @ Pacific Precision says that if a gunsmith is not using his tooling designs, he's not state-of-the-art.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote